How to solve no `jupyter` binary and only "dashed" version `jupyter-lab` binary?

I try to install Jupyter Lab on macOS, and found there are two ways. The first one via Homebrew

brew install jupyterlab

this way work fine, it brings a jupyter command. But the drawback is it looks to have an independent Python environment, so it can’t naturally benefit from my system-level Python environment.

Therefore, I also tried to install Jupyter Lab from pip via

pip3 install jupyterlab

However, looks install with this way can’t install executable jupyter. I can only launch Jupyter Lab with dashed version jupyter-lab. This is a worse problem, because no jupyter command means some important subcommands like jupyter --paths, jupyter kernelspec list can’t be executed, and which also bring extra errors when try to run some scripts (e.g. I tried to install Wolfram Kernel for Jupyter via script ./configure-jupyter.wls add mentioned in WolframResearch/WolframLanguageForJupyter but will meet Jupyter installation on Environment["PATH"] not found problem).

I also searched related discussions about similar problems. But none of them is what I wish to ask. Following is the main categories about the similar discussions

• Some is about adding appropriate bin directory to $PATH, but note here I even have no jupyter executable!
  • And other is about conflict with Conda environment, but I also didn’t use Conda or similar self-contained environment tools.
  • Furthermore, I also investigated the PyPI page of jupyterlab package (see JupyterLab), but there also didn’t have any discussion about no jupyter executable problem–looks the doc assume pip install jupyterlab will bring jupyter executable. By from in my case, it only bring “dashed” version executable like jupyter-lab, but no jupyter executable at all.

So if there are any way to have jupyter executable when install Jupyter Lab with pip?

My understanding has been that the system-level Python is for your Mac’s system and not you. It’s covered in here, even though that wasn’t the main point of that post (here is counter vote for homebrew from mid-223). Plus, see and here and here. They even tried to make it more inaccessible in the last few years. However, maybe that isn’t what you mean and I’m misunderstanding what you mean there?

I know you’ve said you’ve researched this a lot, but did you also see here. And here from 2023.

Thanks for your reply! I also suspect those strange behavior is induced Homebrew Python. But because I have no too much knowledge about Python’s environment, before your reply I even didn’t notice this subtle problem.

1 Like