Can't import fastai to local Jupyter notebook

Glad it is working.

As to your questions…

We aren’t going to be able to answer them based on what you’ve supplied.
Importantly, it isn’t going to help you much even if you got the answers. It boils down to mixing and matching versions and which one you are using, not keeping the environments straight, and that is a recipe for disaster. It seems you started cleaning things up and had better success.

Some related comments to help you with your questions…
I gathered from one of your recent replies that you were on a Mac because I saw homebrew. There’s a lot out there about Macs and installing Python and then Jupyter. I suggest you read some of the recent ones by reputable folks in the Python and Jupyter realms Some of this is discussed in links I reference here. I’d suggest the Anaconda Distribution because it keeps things isolated, but it does add more complexity to manage and so others disfavor suggesting that. And always specify your system in posts for forums such as this.

The system Python on a Mac isn’t meant for you to touch or use. It’s part of the stuff to keep your Mac working.

You may not have been able to run the pip install with 3.12 because the developers didn’t provide support for that version yet?