At times it can take a couple of minutes for MyBinder to launch a container, even if the image is already available.
For example, rather than have just the big spinny thing, have a hero image / carousel that could:
- showcase some other Binders, eg recently popular ones ones that are popular over an extended period;
- report on MyBinder stats / costs;
- highlight news: Jupyter releases (and security fixes);
- display Jupyter community announcements and calls (workshops, events)
- highlight recent papers or news stories where Jupyter tools were used.
I appreciate putting this together would detract effort from core service, but it could provide a useful comms channel to the wider community. (In terms of skills requied, it would also open potential for contributory support to web designers / webdevs in putting this together? As the community gets bigger, it needs to call on a wider range of skills to sustain its activities.)