Unable to start Jupyter lab or Jupyter notebook in a browser

I get the following log when starting Jupyter lab or Jupyter notebook-

[W 17:03:08.963 NotebookApp] No web browser found: could not locate runnable browser.

and Jupyter does not start a browser (or a tab in a browser).

(I am using Linux - Manjaro i3 community edition)

I have configured Jupyter to use google-chrome-stable by

jupyter notebook --generate-config

and setting the following line in ~/.jupyter/jupyter_notebook_config.py

c.NotebookApp.browser = '/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable' 

(Yes I have uncommented the above line)

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable and google-chrome-stable successfully launch chrome from the terminal.

I have also tried

jupyter lab --browser=google-chrome-stable
jupyter lab --browser google-chrome-stable

without success.

Jupyter used to open in a browser when I had Pale Moon installed on my system, but now that I have removed it, I cannot seem to get this working. google-chrome-stable is my default browser now.

The obvious workaround is to copy the localhost URL to a web browser but I am trying to avoid that.

Have you checked that the user as which Jupyter is started has execute permission on /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable?

Have you tried jupyter lab --generate-config instead of jupyter notebook --generate-config? I’m not too familiar with the config system, but the app name plays a role there.

Also check for environment variables that specify a browser.

It does. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to execute google-chrome-stable or /usr/bin/google-chrome-stable to launch Google Chrome.

I don’t think it does. jupyter lab --generate-config wants to overwrite ~/.jupyter/jupyter_notebook_config.py with default config.
Even if it did, jupyter notebook also doesn’t start in the browser.