Release of IPython 7.28

Hi all,

Last friday of the month, IPython 7.28.0 was released a few minutes ago, and is now available on PyPI, soon on conda-forge

Nothing critical you can read the what’s new on readthedocs, many fixes around virtualenv, and lots of work from mrmino.

Enjoy

upgrade

You can upgrade with pip:

pip install ipython --upgrade

And if you are using conda, once available on conda-forge:

conda upgrade ipython

Note that this is approximatively the time where @fperez made the first release about 20 years ago.

Happy anniversary.

5 Likes

Thanks so much, Matthias, not just for this lovely anniversary gift, but more importantly, for all the hard work you keep putting into IPython!!

For the curious - I did start work on IPython around October 2001, and shared some of that privately. Unfortunately I lost my email archives prior to 2006, so I can’t dig out some of the fascinating early communications with folks like Janko Hauser and Nathan Gray, who graciously offered their codes to get the first “real” IPython off the ground, nor the interactions with the late John Hunter in 2002 around matlab-style syntax in my Gnuplot.py support, that led him to starting matplotlib… But after a few frantic weeks of work, December 9 2001 was the first public announcement of IPython 0.2.0.

It’s kind of fun to read that email now, 20 years later - so much has changed, and yet, there are nuggets of the core of that message that, for better or worse, remain very much alive :slight_smile:

The key thing that has changed is the amazing community we have now! Thanks to Matthias, and to all of you who have turned that first, tentative, idea into all that is today the Jupyter project and community. :birthday: :tada:

2 Likes