IPython 7.31 and 8.0.0rc1

Hi all,

Hope you are having a happy new year.

First productive days since Last friday of the month that was actually a last friday of the year, so IPython 7.31.0 was released a few minutes ago, and so is IPython 8.0.0rc1, they is now available on PyPI, soon on conda-forge for 7.31, which only has 2 commits.

I would strongly encourage you to read the what’s new on readthedocs for 7.x, and for 8.x that will likely be released in less than a month.

You may have missed it in previous announce, but for 8.0 the heavy lifting of removing nose, porting to pytest, and future proofing compatibility was done thank to Nikita Kniazev we were able to hire thanks to a NumFOCUS Small Development Grants. Nikita did fantastic work (I’ll describe in another blog post closer to IPython 8.0 release), and a developer I highly recommend if you need Python and/or C++ help.

upgrade

pip install ipython --upgrade

Or if you want to try 8.0:

pip install ipython ipykernel --upgrade --pre

And if you are using conda, once available on conda-forge:

conda upgrade ipython

If all goes well I might make the 8.0 final at the end of this week or during next week depending on my mood, keep going with last-friday-of-the-month-minor-releases after that,except the 7.x will likely only be critical bugfixes.

Enjoy

3 Likes

7.31.0 is ready on conda-forge.

With any luck, 8.0.0rc1 will be available within the hour on a shiny new ipython_rc label via something like:

mamba install -c conda-forge/label/ipython_rc -c conda-forge ipython

…works with ol’ conda, too, but who has time for that?

And, as always, thanks @carreau for running herd on these matters!

1 Like

Thanks to you for always watching and taking care of conda-forge !