Discuss the JupyterHub communications strategy

Right now there are many different channels of communication in the JupyterHub world. Recently we set up a Discourse (discourse.jupyter.org) for another style of communication. This brings up the question of how we can use all of these channels in an effective manner.

@willingc along with comments from @betatim and @ellisonbg recently laid out a nice list for ideas for which kinds of communication fits where. (link here). I’m pasting the full text below.

In addition, I’m marking this top comment as a “wiki” which means anybody can edit it…please do so by clicking the little “edit” button in the top right of this post!

Gitter

• general chat (quick questions between devs)
  • quick (one conversation) technical support issues (posting to Discourse the outcome if it will take > 1 conversation) May make sense to encourage users to migrate their questions to Discourse; answering quick questions synchronously has the benefit of building rapport with users
  • time sensitive devops
  • coordination (are you around to review my PR today, can I help with
    that?)
  • informal team building/trust

Discourse

• Technical support requiring more than one discussion (moved from Gitter to Discourse)
  • Opinion polls
  • Discussions of controversial issues (process, workflow, project direction)
  • Discussion of GitHub issues that are broad in scope or where next actions are not well defined (Cross linking with the discourse-github plugin)
  • Discussions of topics not related to a GitHub item
  • How to contribute discussions
  • Events
  • summarization for a broader audience (GitHub is a firehose),
  • discussion of larger work efforts that span multiple issues or repos but
    are still within an area of the project
  • requests for feedback
  • other organizational and non-code matters.

GitHub

• Enhancements, bugs, and triaged support questions that need development to resolve
  • Brief responses on well-scoped (actionable) GitHub issues
  • Review comments and suggestions for open PRs
  • Release milestones
3 Likes

Guidance on use?

Is the intention that this site deprecates the Jupyter Google groups? If so, it may be worth posting something to that effect in those groups.

0 Likes

Right now we’re treating Discourse as an experiment - if it seems to be a positive force in the community, then I think it’s worth thinking about what communication channels it could replace…however I’m not sure that we’re there yet (it’s only about a week old, after all :slight_smile: ).

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this, btw. Any intuition for whether Discourse could replace some other communication channels?

0 Likes

Hey, check out Watching / Tracking categories!

Ping @jasongrout regarding https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/pull/6099#issuecomment-474110180, perhaps if some members of the jupyterlab team decided to choose to “Watching first post” as a discourse tracking option of the JupyterLab category?

Perhaps we should think of this when deciding or not to create subcategories. It allows tracking of more specific areas, for example: I want to focus attention on #jupyterhub:z2jh-k8s rather than all of #jupyterhub, and I can since we have a subcategory for z2jh!

1 Like