TLJH Share Data with users

Hi,
i have trouble with sharing data within TLJH. I have a fresh install and i followed this HowTo and there Option 2 and 3: Share data with your users — The Littlest JupyterHub documentation

But it doesnt work as expectet:

Option 2:

sudo mkdir -p /srv/data/lessons

in /etc/skel

sudo ln -s /srv/data/lessons lessons

New users have a folder lessons but i (admin) can not create Notebooks there or move them there.

so i tried
Option 3:

sudo mkdir -p /srv/scratch
sudo chown  root:jupyterhub-users /srv/scratch
sudo chmod 777 /srv/scratch
sudo chmod g+s /srv/scratch
sudo ln -s /srv/scratch /etc/skel/scratch

But then newly created users can move data from other users to their home folder.

What i want to achive is the following:

As the teacher i want to have a folder where i can put multiple notebooks (+ subfolders if possible) for the students. The students should not be able to delete, change or move the provided data. Copying is ok!

Can anybody give me a hint where to look? Option 1 sounds to complicated for me and the students…

Thanks in advance
feeh

You should be able to move/copy a notebook there using sudo. What have you tried?

Hello,
Yes, with sudo I can copy files into the folder. I had expected a different behaviour. I thought I could then work in the folder and the students would see this immediately.
Another problem is the error messages the students get when they try to copy the notebooks. Since I have beginners in class, every error message is unpleasant at first.

Maybe I should write what I want:
As a teacher, I would like to provide the students with the appropriate notebooks for each lesson/assignment. I want to allow as few user errors as possible. It should be rather “idiot-proof”.
My plan was to map a kind of curriculum in the notebooks and then let the students work through it themselves.

I can also make the notebooks available somewhere else, but then I can’t link them to each other or that will often go wrong.
It would be nice if the students could simply make a copy in TLJH.

Maybe I should use nbgitpuller after all… However, I expect very big problems because of our school network. If git only uses port 80/443 then it would work, but I don’t think so. Everything else is blocked here at school. And since I can’t get new software onto my computers in the near future, I want to use JupyterHub. I come from Germany and our former chancellor said in 2013 that “the internet is new territory for all of us”. Unfortunately nothing has changed in schools since then.

Thanks says
F.E.

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

I think nbgitpuller is the best solution.

Git supports multiple protocols. E.g. git clone https://github.com/binder-examples/conda will use https/443, git clone git@github.com:binder-examples/conda will use ssh/22

I have managed to get nbgitpuller running in the end. It’s quite a lot to learn to get it working safely. As a teacher you are not necessarily a professional in everything …

I just put a Jupyter notebook in /etc/skel where the nbgitpuller link is included. The students can then update my folder whenever I say so.
My fear that this can’t work was of course nonsense: Jupyter and Github are outside my school network.
Thanks for the support.
Cheers