Latex not always typeset in ipywidgets in Jupyter lab

I have been intermittently seeing latex labels in ipywidgets not rendering in Jupyter Lab. I would like to report an issue, but am not sure I have checked everything I need to. At first I thought it was an issue with widgets >= 8.0. But it is now being reproduced with the latest jupyter lab and widgets before 8.0. The behavior is quite strange. I only encounter it in the first notebook I open after launching lab, but not 100% of the time (about 90%). If I close the first not working notebook and open a second one the same widgets have latex labels properly rendered.

I have tried complete new installs into virtual environments. Some seem to work fine some do not.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any hints?

Jonathan

Nnot Sure if this is the same Issue, but there is something wrong with latex in ipywidegts also on the homepage

https://ipywidgets.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples/Widget%20Layout.html#latex

The latex widgets dont render. For Version 7 the Do. Tested it for multiple PCs and Phones.

Yes, orome posted about this about 20 hours ago here and added an issue about it not working in ipwidgets. He mentioned the documentation not displaying it, too.

Looks like there might be a fix for this coming in Try to use manager's latexTypesetter if window.MathJax is not defined by bollwyvl · Pull Request #3847 · jupyter-widgets/ipywidgets · GitHub

2 Likes