[Jupyter_Server] Errno13 - Permission Denied While Setting Up

Hi,

My computer does not have the internet at my workplace, so I have to install jupyer_server offline by .whl file. But I get an error: “Errno13 Permission Denied” while installing.

The error happen when writing a file:
C:\Users\NGUYEN DUY DUC\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\Lib\site-packages\jupyter_server\i18n\nbui.pot

How do fix this problem? Help me.

Thanks

Windows isn’t a lot of fun: for example, paths:

• even if this gets figured out, that base path looks long.
  • open source scientific computing often has trouble with spaces in the install path

My recommendation, borne of years of pain, for managing repeatable, usable offline python (but specifically jupyter) enviornments is to rely on conda and constructor:

• when connected to the internet:
    • get a Miniforge installer
      • install it someplace as short as possible, e.g. c:\mf
        • create this, empty, folder with File Explorer before running the installer
          • all windows on users can create folders in c:\
      • in a cmd.exe, activate that with c:\mf\scripts\activate
    • check in that description
    • build the installer
  • bring that installer to the offline computer
    • install it someplace short, e.g. c:\myf
      • again, ensure the folder exists before running the installer
    • activate it there

The upside of this approach:

• you really only have to write one file, construct.yaml
  • no special permissions are required
  • this installer will perfectly reproduce the environment, even years in the future

The down side:

• everything has to be in conda(-forge)
    • pretty much all of the jupyter stack, and most of the python scienitific computing stack, NLP/AI/ML stuff, is available there
      • even a lof of the r ecosystem is available there
  • this installer will perfectly reproduce the environment, even years in the future
    • if there have been major vulnerabilities discovered, there’s no way to avoid installing them
      • but you’re offline, so the risk is low
  • these are big, and slow to build
    • installers can easily be larger than 1GB (all it really takes is numpy and matplotlib to drag along qt and mkl)
      • this is seldom a problem these days, with 16gb USB sticks cheaper than a cup of coffee
2 Likes