New contributor to Jupyter noteook - Got stuck in the configuration of the development environment

I am a new contributor to Jupyter notebook and I got stuck while configuring the development environemt.
I use Windows, and I followed all the steps provided in the contributing.rst file. However, I want to be able to work on the project in an IDE or Text editor. When I open the project in my IDE (intelliJ) and I try to modify a file, I get this error:
I changed the permissions of the project folder to give write access to all users, but it still didn’t work.
And by the way, while installing everything I was running Anaconda prompt as administrator (not sure if this has anything to do with the problem).
I would really appreciate it if you can help me solve this issue as soon as possible because this is part of my capstone project, and I need to make some progress.

new contributor to Jupyter notebook

hello!

C:\windows\system32\notebook

This is a big red flag: you really don’t want to be interactively computing against what amounts to the “brain” of your operating system. I highly recommend checking out to a nice, short, easy-to-type path like c:\git\notebook.

running Anaconda prompt as administrator

Unless you really know what use case you are doing it for (e.g. adminstering a shared computer attached to a microscope or something), a base anaconda (or otherwise) should be installed by a normal user without any particular admin permissions.

Indeed, from a developer perspective, starting with miniforge (or mambaforge), which by default pulls from conda-forge is going to give you a lot more control, as the (ToS-gated) anaconda “defaults” repos can lag behind by several months. Either way, you’d still want to run the installer as a normal user, in a nice, short path, e.g. c:\mf.

Beyond that, I can then highly recommend getting into the habit of developing in a conda “env”, captured as an environment.yml, rather than installing all your development stuff into the base: even though you’re unlikely to mess up your whole computer, sometimes doing development installs in your base env can leave it in an… interesting state.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your explanation.
I fixed everything, and indeed it’s a lot easier and safer to work with a “nice, short, easy-to-type path like c:\git\notebook”.

1 Like

I posted the feature that I’d like to work on (Adding more options to notebook-pdf conversion · Issue #11935 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub), and I would really appreciate it if I can get some feedback from you regarding how feasible it is.
Thank you in advance

1 Like