Issues upgrading Python version to 3.8

Hi all, I’m having some trouble upgrading Python from 3.7.11 to 3.8. I’ve been following the steps from Install conda, pip or apt packages — The Littlest JupyterHub v0.1 documentation exactly, and the process seems to complete, but there is no change to the Python version - I’m still on 3.7.11. I’ve done some Googling around and most of the recommendations are to create a new Conda environment, but I don’t think that’s what I actually want here.

This is what happens in the process.

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: | 
Found conflicts! Looking for incompatible packages.
This can take several minutes.  Press CTRL-C to abort.
Examining conflict for <long list of package names>

Finally, it prints out a huge list of conflicts and tells me: “Your installed version is: 2.27”. The output of which python is /opt/tljh/user/bin/python and python -V remains at 3.7.11.

Can anyone give me any guidance as to what’s happening here and how I can resolve to get 3.8 installed?

Is it possible you’ve got a combination of packages that doesn’t work with Python 3.8?

1 Like

Potentially, yes. But I couldn’t parse the output to figure out what these are even if I wanted to. It’s stupidly long. Is there a conda command or something else that I could use to see the versions of Python that they depend on?

I don’t know of an easy way, someone else here might though.

Otherwise you could try creating a new conda environment for testing with Python 3.8, and install your packages to figure out which is causing the problem?

1 Like