How to run jupyter lab without the terminal on windows 10?

• I am running Jupyter Lab on windows 10
  • The terminal is always turned on after I run Jupyter lab, but I never take a look at the terminal so I want to run the terminal in the background. (The picture below is the terminal that is running, at the same time as Jupyter Lab is running)
  • How can I run the Jupyter Lab, with the terminal in the background? And how can I turn the background terminal off, on Windows 10?

Could this one: Create a desktop shortcut for JupyterLab on Windows | by Konstantin Taletskiy | Medium work for you? The basic idea is to create a desktop shortcut and modify the command (possibly using some variant of start /B "" jupyter lab but maybe it will work as-is by using what’s described in the linked blog post).

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, krassowski. Your answer is very helpful, so I followed the instructions from the blog article that you mentioned. However, I can still see the console at the taskbar, at the bottom of my screen. And if I click it and open it up, the minimized console pops out. Is there any way to run jupyter lab without turning on the console at all? I never take a look at the console so there is no need for me to turn the console on.

I believe it is possible, but I don’t know of top of my head - I have not used Windows for several years now. Sorry I cannot be of more help. I would try searching for Windows-specific advice for opening terminal based applications without ever showing the terminal itself, …

…but bear in mind that this will very likely mean that at some point in the future you may miss the warnings or errors written to that terminal.

Have you tried the JupyterLab desktop app?
I haven’t tried it but I wonder if it has the terminal involved since it is " standalone application".

I edited the title of your post. Let me know though if it no longer reflects what you are seeking.

Thank you! If you find any information on how to not turn on terminal while using Windows 10, please let me know.

I have tried the desktop app, but this one does not support extension yet. So I am not considering using it at the moment, as I heavily rely on some jupyter extensions :slight_smile:

1 Like

If we are lucky and I did not miss anything, the extensions are coming to the Desktop app: Port to federated extensions (with eager loading of shared extensions) by krassowski · Pull Request #322 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab-desktop · GitHub (well, only prebuilt extensions, but I will argue that most extensions were already ported to the prebuilt system).

2 Likes

@krassowski Wow it is waiting for merge! Thank you for your pull request on Jupyterlab desktop as well! Just two questions about desktop, please.

Q1. Should I uninstall my anaconda3 first, to register jupyterlab desktop as my default python? Since I am going to use Jupyterlab desktop solely after installing it, I wanted to “set jupyterlab desktop as my default python”, and the installation says that there is already anaconda3 folder in my computer. As such, I need to unregister the anaconda 3 python first. According to the most voted answer to the question " System Python conflict between Anaconda and existing Python installation", to unregister another python, I should remove it.

Q2. If your pull request to let people use the “Extension manager” is merged, the virtual environment would be easier to control on jupyterlab desktop as well? You mentiond in this answer that something interesting is coming to the Jupyterlab desktop, about the controlling of virtual environment!