Secret Gist not enabled

Hey!

Are secret gist deactivated on purpose?

They are not-listed, publicly available URLs, which can be embedded on every website. I tend to keep my gist secret and only share them with friends/colleagues to highlight something.

Error resolving ref for gist:<url>/master: You seem to want to use a secret Gist, but do not have permission to do so. To enable secret Gist support, set (or have an administrator set) 'GistRepoProvider.allow_secret_gist = True'

Are you talking about mybinder.org? Some information on usage is public, for instance see this thread:
A datasette of mybinder.org launches
If secret repos were enabled they’d show up in that query.

Yes, I want to use mybinder.org via nbviewer. I put up a short example:

throws by clicking “execute on mybinder” in the top right corner:

Error resolving ref for gist:enryH/7fcb438dec20c01b5bdfa250fb960d79/master: You seem to want to use a secret Gist, but do not have permission to do so. To enable secret Gist support, set (or have an administrator set) 'GistRepoProvider.allow_secret_gist = True'

mybinder.org does not support private repositories and secret gists. If you need to keep things private you need to run your own BinderHub instance (and follow the instructions about setting up access rights).

2 Likes

I encountered the same problem, googled it, and found only this discussion (which probably isn’t quite the right place to have this conversation).

Anyway, the solution is to just select the more generic “Git repository” option on mybinder.org, and paste in the actual URL to the git repo itself — rather than the gist.github URL. To find it, go to the gist.github page, look for “Clone via HTTPS” in the dropdown menu that starts with “Embed”, and paste that URL into the mybinder page. It works just fine, since — again — a “secret” gist is publicly available, but just isn’t listed on the user’s page.

1 Like