Release of IPython 7.21

Hi all,

Last friday of the month, IPython 7.21 was released about an hour ago, and is now available on PyPI, soon on conda-forge; thanks in advance to Nick Bollweg for responding to the conda bots and taking care of all the conda-forge related matters.

You can read more about what is new here.

We’re back on a regular release schedule, and I’d love to start pushing on 8.0 if time permit.

This release is recommended for a few reasons mainly:

• Simplify support for the visual debugger when using Xeus-Python
  • Fix issues for osx-arm64 (New Mac M1, related to app-nap), I believe if you experience crash/hang or too much power consumption when not using x86 emulation mode that should be gone with this.

Regardless you can (should) upgrade with pip:

pip install ipython --upgrade

And if you are using conda, once available on conda-forge:

conda upgrade ipython

If you get issues with new version of jedi (in particular on Python 3.6 and earlier); please stop posting issues and suggesting that I release a new version of IPython that pins jedi this suggestion will not work. The pip resolver would still be free to downgrade IPython to a version that does not pin jedi.

In accordance with NEP 29, IPython will remove support for numpy 1.16 and below on next version (we’re actually a bit late on that); this should not affect end users but packagers as IPython uses numpy mostly for some documentation and testing purposes.