Nbgrader and other programming languages

Hi All,

Does nbgrader work with any notebook, regardless of programming language? I am thinking about whether I could use this, for example, to grade notebooks that depend on other language kernels, like Java, C++, C#, etc.

Thanks!
Paul

1 Like

Hi! I am new here you can also check my blog for languages. Thanks

Just stumbling on this question. These last two years, we have been using nbgrader with xeus-cling (C++ interpreter) here for teaching our 400 students undergraduate intro to programming class:

http://nicolas.thiery.name/Enseignement/Info111/

(sorry in French)

There were some glitches at first due to xeus-cling being very new and having some corner cases with the Jupyter protocol. Meanwhile These have been fixed thanks to the superb reactivity of the xeus-cling team, and things are working smoothly now.

From this experience, and given the very simple paradigm used by nbgrader, which makes for a louse coupling with the kernel, I would expect that any language with a robust kernel will work smoothly with nbgrader.

Cheers,

1 Like

We have been using nbgrader with Julia with pretty good success. The trick for use was to update the configuration files so that the preprocessors know what to add when encountering a non-default kernel. Here is an example of our config with Julia, and this section of the docs go into more detail on how to use nbgrader with other languages.

1 Like