Move action missing when Files item selected

Hi,
As far as I know, I have a standard installation of notebooks, which appears to run OK, although I have noticed it is quite slow to open my Windows browser to illustrate the files from the ‘starting folder’.
The only problem I have so far is to select (a file) and move it.
Before selection, the Files tab states “Select items to perform actions on them.”, showing my current folder, and a list under the Name, Last Modified, File Size column headings.
When I select a file, I see the options ‘Open, Download, Rename, Duplicate, Delete’
ie there is no Move

I have started jupyter notebooks from command line, both as my user, and starting cmd as admin. There is no difference.

As ‘my user’, I can open Windows Explorer and cut/paste the file to another folder (as I wish to within the jupyter browser).

It is odd that there are no similar questions that I can find, and so I believe this must be fairly unique to me.

NB as per my previous question, I am very new to notebooks, and I my use so far is only to follow a tutorial. I am assuming that Move is expected, as it seems a fairly basic function of a file browser.

I have captured below some information from the notebooks startup (Jupyter Server 2.12.5) that may be interesting

Fail to get yarn configuration. C:\Python311\Lib\site-packages\jupyterlab\staging\yarn.js:4
(()=>{var Qge=Object.create;var AS=Object.defineProperty;var bge=Object.getOwnPropertyDescriptor;var Sge=Object.getOwnPropertyNames;var vge=Object.getPrototypeOf,xge=Object.prototype.hasOwnProperty;var J=(r=>typeof require<“u”?require:typeof Proxy<“u”?new Proxy(r,{get:(e,t)=>(typeof require<“u”?require:e)[t]}):r)(function(r){if(typeof require<“u”)return require.apply(this,arguments);throw new Error(‘Dynamic require of "’+r+‘" is not supported’)});var Pge=(r,e)=>()=>(r&&(e=r(r=0)),e);var w=(r,e)=>()=>(e||r((e={exports:{}}).exports,e),e.exports),ut=(r,e)=>{for(var t in e)AS(r,t,{get:e[t],enumerable:!0})},Dge=(r,e,t,i)=>{if(e&&typeof e==“object”||typeof e==“function”)for(let n of Sge(e))!xge.call(r,n)&&n!==t&&AS(r,n,{get:()=>e[n],enumerable:!(i=bge(e,n))||i.enumerable});return r};var Pe=(r,e,t)=>(t=r!=null?Qge(vge(r)):{},Dge(e||!r||!r.__esModule?AS(t,“default”,{value:r,enumerable:!0}):t,r));var QK=w((GXe,BK)=>{BK.exports=wK;wK.sync=Zge;var IK=J(“fs”);

SyntaxError: Unexpected token {
at createScript (vm.js:56:10)
at Object.runInThisContext (vm.js:97:10)
at Module._compile (module.js:549:28)
at Object.Module._extensions…js (module.js:586:10)
at Module.load (module.js:494:32)
at tryModuleLoad (module.js:453:12)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:445:3)
at Module.runMain (module.js:611:10)
at run (bootstrap_node.js:387:7)
at startup (bootstrap_node.js:153:9)

[W 2024-02-20 10:19:02.093 ServerApp] A _jupyter_server_extension_points function was not found in notebook_shim. Instead, a _jupyter_server_extension_paths function was found and will be used for now. This function name will be deprecated in future releases of Jupyter Server.

[I 2024-02-20 10:19:03.143 ServerApp] Skipped non-installed server(s): bash-language-server, dockerfile-language-server-nodejs, javascript-typescript-langserver, jedi-language-server, julia-language-server, pyright, python-language-server, python-lsp-server, r-languageserver, sql-language-server, texlab, typescript-language-server, unified-language-server, vscode-css-languageserver-bin, vscode-html-languageserver-bin, vscode-json-languageserver-bin, yaml-language-server
0.00s - Debugger warning: It seems that frozen modules are being used, which may
0.00s - make the debugger miss breakpoints. Please pass -Xfrozen_modules=off
0.00s - to python to disable frozen modules.
0.00s - Note: Debugging will proceed. Set PYDEVD_DISABLE_FILE_VALIDATION=1 to disable this validation.
[W 2024-02-20 10:20:09.790 ServerApp] Notebook book/content/chapter1/intro.ipynb is not trusted
[W 2024-02-20 10:20:11.826 ServerApp] Notebook book/content/chapter1/intro.ipynb is not trusted
[I 2024-02-20 10:20:12.243 ServerApp] Kernel started: 8ded5a7c-d5e8-4a1c-a3e6-3036928bc5d0
0.00s - Debugger warning: It seems that frozen modules are being used, which may
0.00s - Note: Debugging will proceed. Set PYDEVD_DISABLE_FILE_VALIDATION=1 to disable this validation.

[W 2024-02-20 10:26:32.481 ServerApp] Notebook book/content/book_intro.ipynb is not trusted
[W 2024-02-20 10:26:34.645 ServerApp] Notebook book/content/book_intro.ipynb is not trusted
[I 2024-02-20 10:26:34.978 ServerApp] Kernel started: 6ec3904b-174a-4fd1-b2fa-2711d2720088

I suspect you are using Jupyter Notebook 7+?
If I go here and launch Jupyter Notebook 7.1 by pressing ‘launch binder’ and then make a new notebook file when the session comes up, I don’t see ‘Move’ as an option there.

Is that what you are seeing?

I think the idea was to streamline the options because you don’t have that in JupyterLab either and Jupyter Notebook is made on JupyterLab components. (You can see some of that discussion here, if interested.) You just drag and drop in the JupyterLab file browser to move and so maybe the thinking is you can move files in your system’s GUI?

You may want to read here and here for some other differences noted about the interface and links to more resources about Jupyter Notebook 7+.

Hi, thank you for the reply …and apologies for not responding (TBH I went on to other things and my training has been put to the side).
Given your experience, I accept your explanation, but personally, I find it very odd providing a ‘file browser’ without the ability to move a file.
(more so, that the interface used to have it, and a conscious decision has been made to remove it).
Oh well, it is good to know that it isn’t just me!
I will flip to the OS when necessary :slight_smile:

1 Like