JupyterHub upgrade steps for HTTPS ACMEv2

I’m running JupyterHub on Google Cloud, with HTTPS enabled via Let’s Encrypt (setup last year following the z2jh tutorial).

Towards the end of 2019, I received an e-mail from Let’s Encrypt saying that support for ACMEv1 would be deprecated in June 2020, and that I should upgrade to ACMEv2.

I’ve been following two JupyterHub issues (here and here) that relate to this, both of which are now resolved.

I’d like to switch to the new ACMEv2 method with minimum downtime for my users, but I’m not sure what to expect. Should it be as simple as upgrading my Helm chart to version 0.9.0 (I’m currently running 0.9-61cf357):

helm upgrade jhub jupyterhub/jupyterhub \
  --version=0.9.0
  --values config.yaml

Or are there other things I need to worry about (e.g. changes to config.yaml or other aspects relating to Let’s Encrypt)?

Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi!

I think so it is almost that simple, but special care needs to be taken during the upgrade. I would suggest to follow the upgrade instructions here during a time where you think relatively few users would be disrupted.

2 Likes

Ah, brilliant - thank you!

I really appreciate the effort you put into documenting this :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll give it a go tonight when things are quiet :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Worked like a charm :grinning: :tada:

Thanks to everyone that worked on this to make the upgrade process so painless!

2 Likes