Introduce yourself!

Hi folks, my name is Mike I’m senior software engineer working and contributing to open source projects like Fedora, Ubuntu, GNOME, KDE, and Kubernetes. Glad, I found this community as I’m starting to take more of an interest in Data Science for future projects.:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi there ! :wave::fr:

I’m Amalik. I’m a Product Owner, mainly working on A/B testing on a video platform. I’m looking forward reading from you all, as I want to improve my skills on Jupyter.

Cheers !

2 Likes

Hi: I am Jose. I am a student at UNED a Spanish University. I am working in a project to deploy Scipy by means of JupyterHub so other students at the department of electrical and electronic engineering can use that set of tools for data analysis. I have to integrate it with Moodle and I hope to find some additional help here to achieve the target.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: JupyterHub and Moodle intergation

Welcome @jnaranjo104 ! I’m pretty sure you’ll find here all the help you want :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot @amalik for your wellcome. I hope to be of help too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey all, I’m Josiah and I currently work at Devoted Health as a Senior Data Engineer. In a former life as a data scientist, I was a heavy user of Jupyter Notebooks. During my time at Amazon, I was a big advocate and successfully ran a few large JupyterHub servers alongside teaching internal classes on using notebooks as a replacement for doing analysis in excel. Today, I’m really into the Zero-to-JupyterHub project and hope to drive adoption at my current company. A key reason why I am here is, having been a happy user for the past 6 years, I’d like to get involved with supporting and contributing to the project! Looking forward to learning from and working with all of you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m a developer that goes by Marta and I am currently working on a project where we use jupyterlab as the platform for our app. We are using some of the existing extensions and creating our own to build our features up.
I’m very much a newbie in all-things-jupyter(lab) :blush: so I am hoping to get some pointers from the community here :pray:
Look forward to learning together!

5 Likes

Hi, I am a materials science & engineering PhD student and a frequent user of Jupyter notebooks. I am looking for ways to contribute to the community. Anyone looking for help on a project? I am especially interested in working on something related to natural sciences and engineering.

5 Likes

Hi all - my name is Julia and I am a geospatial consultant and PhD candidate working on big data technologies for meteorological and climate data. My research focus is specifically in the intersection between users and data providers to make large volumes of open data better accessible and usable. I have been using Jupyter notebooks since 2014. I develop tutorials and run workshops mainly on the analysis of large volumes of environmental data with Jupyter.
I am excited to be here and look forward to engage in the discussions.

5 Likes

Hi, All my name is Aaron Guerrero from the Philippines and new to coding/ Data Science. Hope to get insights and help from the community as we all learn together.

5 Likes

Hi guys. Joining to learn more about publishing with python. For now just doing a lot of reading and looking at what’s available. Fairly new to python but I love to see how it’s grown during the past decade. Cheers.

4 Likes

Hi there, I am Massimo and I work as big data engineer. These days I am mostly involved in setting up a machine learning lab and the Jupyter ecosystem, needless to say, plays a big role.

I am looking for inspiration from all of you :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi,
I am Hendrik, I do my Master studies and Biomedical Physics.
At the moment, my main reason to use jupyter is to prepare and sharpen ideas for videos (e.g. this short Machine Learning Video ) that are rendered with manim (python module from 3blue1brown, which he uses for his videos.) Further, I am very interested in Data Science, Teaching and Image Processing.

5 Likes

Hello fellow humans.

My name is Philip and aside from being in Computer Science I had a PhD student in Bioinformatics a few years back who made good use of Jupyter. Now I am trying to get into it to do COVID-19 research building on existing projects. Troubling times, good to have people to talk to.

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I am Ronald a researcher and academic with significant interest in open source software tools and frameworks for scientific modelling and interactive computing, and data science. Project Jupyter and Python are becoming the front runners in these areas. My background is mechanical engineering with a PhD renewable energy. I am based at the Centre for Sustainable Technologies and Ulster University, Belfast. I am here to develop expertise in the wide range of tools for scientific computing, computer modelling, data science and to develop interactive education materials.

2 Likes

Hi all, my name is Tony Dang, I’m learning Python and new at it.

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Larry Byars. I have been discovering about computer and writing software for over 50 years, starting in the day of 10 char/second punch paper tape I/O on Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-8 computer but progressing as the technology developed. These days I use network windows and linux computers distributed in several places in the US. I’ve been working in the field of Medical Imaging Systems since joining a startup company in 1984 - CTI, Inc. with the purpose of making PET (Positron Emission Tomography) a useful device for the medical community. I was the “software” guy also responsible for system administration, IT (thought I don’t think we had that term back in the 80’s), software and system architecture, and generally doing whatever needed to get done for a small 20 person startup trying to “make clinical PET a reality” as was our theme in those days. I had previously worked as a Co-op student for Union Carbide, in Oak Ridge, TN, from 1967-1969 where I was introduced to my first PDP-8 complete with 4096 words of 12-bit “core” (really, little bitty magnets) memory and a teletype with 10 character/second keyboard, printer, paper tape reader and punch for I/O. Many programs were just “toggled” into memory directly from the switches on the front panel. After deciding that I wanted to program computers rather than become a Nuclear Engineer I went to work in 1970 for a small company in Oak Ridge that made computer systems for nuclear physics experiments, along with anything else that might make money and keep the doors open. I wrote software for several systems that we built but also worked on a little project that used an 8-track magnetic tape cartridge to store and retrieve 1’s and 0’s much faster than the 10 cps or even the “high speed” 300 cps paper tape reader. So I “patched” several of the utility programs that came with the computer that would normally read data from the teletype to instead call subroutines to read and write bytes to the tape (not at the same time, of course). Later we started using the next technological advancement, the PDP-11. Shortly after that I accepted a position at another company in Oak Ridge, named ORTEC who were owned by EG&G with the goal of helping the company introduce computers into their radiation detector and electronics products. I stayed at ORTEC in various groups until in 1984 joining CTI to learn about and develop PET systems. We started with DEC Vax computers with 4 “massive” dual-ported 160 MByte (yes, that’s megabyte) disk drives to store the coincident gamma ray events detected by the system from 1m diameter rings of scintillating crystals. In the late 80’s we began working with Sun Workstations where networking played a strong role in the design of a more distributed system with a dedicated acquisition and reconstruction sub-system interfaced over ethernet to the console workstation. I worked in the 90’s on developing 3D acquisition and reconstruction tomographic techniques and collaborated as a consultant in the development of the first combined PET and CT system, a combination which is now the norm for PET imaging. After 15 years of consulting work I again became an employee of the company that bought CTI, SIemens Medical, now known as Siemens Healthineers. I have an office at our detector R&D facility in Rockford, TN, and I’m now involved in design of a 2nd generation PET/MRI system for brain imaging in collaboration with MGH in Boston. In recent years I’ve taken up Python programming and was delighted to discover Jupyter Notebooks and Jupyter Lab and recently deployed an internal application using the Voila package.

I apologize for such a long introduction but it’s hard to compress 50+ years in the “business” into only a few words and many details were left out. But I’m always eager to learn new applications of computers and software and look forward to becoming a member of this community.

Larry Byars

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Michal. I’m a software architect, and I coordinate some JupyterHub (Z2JH on K8S) instances supporting hundreds of users. I’m here to learn more about Jupyter ecosystem!

3 Likes