Installing VSCode into Miniconda :: how to do this!?

conda a try:

well i guess it is a bit more tricky:

can we do it like so:

we need a snippet that helps to create a directory to install miniconda into it,
After we have set up this - then we can start to download the latest python 3 based install script for Linux 64 bit, Done so we an go ahead and try to execute or run the install script which helps us :- subsequently we can at the end delete the install script,

Then - at this point we can do the adding and intializing of Conda:

--a conda initialize to our bash or the so called zsh shell.

That said: If we follow ths path then we at the enrestart your shell and conda will be ready to go.

mkdir -p ~/miniconda3
wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh -O ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
bash ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh -b -u -p ~/miniconda3
rm -rf ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init bash
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init zsh

If we are here we can go ahead: # note: we just have done one important thing. We ve fetched Anaconda via wget

that wen very nice. now we can do even more: the miniconda.sh has got some cool basic options.
Most notably we used -b to be able to run unattended, which means that all of the agreements are automatically accepted without user prompt. -u updates any existing installation in the directory of install if there is one. -p is the directory to install into.

here i have a litte cheat sheet that helps us with the usage:

see more /root/miniconda3/miniconda.sh [options]

Installs Miniconda - the version - see 3 4.6.14

-b           run install in batch mode (without manual intervention),
             it is expected the license terms are agreed upon
-f           no error if install prefix already exists
-h           print this help message and exit
-p PREFIX    install prefix, defaults to /root/miniconda3, must not contain spaces.
-s           skip running pre/post-link/install scripts
-u           update an existing installation
-t           run package tests after installation (may install conda-build)

at the end oft theday we have even more options

Silent/Logged
A quick and easy way to silence everything or to log it to a file during an automated install is to wrap the script into a bash function, or save it to its own file, and call the file. I like the function method since I can still copy it right into a terminal, or keep my install script as one single file.

install_miniconda () {
mkdir -p ~/miniconda3
wget https://repo.anaconda.com/miniconda/Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh -O ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
bash ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh -b -u -p ~/miniconda3
rm -rf ~/miniconda3/miniconda.sh
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init bash
~/miniconda3/bin/conda init zsh
}

But wait: What do we do now: note: now we need to have packages and all that things.

Question - well i want to give Miniconda a try.
the question is - how to install vscode then!?

install_miniconda
silent

install_miniconda > /dev/null 2>&1

install_miniconda > miniconda_install.log 2>&1

I’m guessing since you tagged this under JupyterHub you are trying to run this remotely and accessible alongside your kernels? You are may then be looking for code-server? (It’s hard to tell if you ran conda install -c conda-forge code-server because although you have a section that starts ‘conda a try:’, there is no content. In fact, there is nothing showing anything you tried related to VS Code in your post.) As a guide, this is what Binder uses running in BinderHub and a BinderHub is a fancy JupyterHub, see here. The server proxy stuff is then what you need to deal with on top of that.

This blog post by Christiaan Hees from 2019 has a different set of install commands. But that may be because that post is old at this time. conda or the stuff under Getting Started is probably the way to go now.

2 Likes

hi there - good day der fomightez

many many thanks for the quick reply. !!! i am very happy to hear from you.
i will look at the linked postings and texts and will try to get it started.

many many thanks for your help - i love this forum from the bottom of my heart

greetings