How to Make Jupyter Lab Behave Like Notebook?

Setting up a new Ubuntu 22.04 instance for my python development. I installed Jupyter via pip. Here are the related versions that I am getting from pip freeze

jupyter==1.0.0
jupyter-console==6.6.3
jupyter-events==0.9.0
jupyter-lsp==2.2.1
jupyter_client==8.6.0
jupyter_core==5.7.1
jupyter_server==2.12.3
jupyter_server_terminals==0.5.1
jupyterlab==4.0.10
jupyterlab-widgets==3.0.9
jupyterlab_pygments==0.3.0
jupyterlab_server==2.25.2

I wanted a classic jupyter notebook, however, it seems my pip command installed jupyter lab instead which I dislike. So, have they stopped supporting old fashioned jupyter notebook?

Also, it seems jupyter lab has a few user quirks (which are why I do not want it). Is there a way to go around them?

• When inside a notebook, I want to create a new notebook, by clicking File->New->Notebook, the new notebook appears in the home directory where the lab is running, not on the current notebook’s directory. I want the new notebook in my current directory.

Above all, how can I install the old fashioned notebook interface?

The classic UI is available as GitHub - jupyter/nbclassic: Jupyter Notebook as a Jupyter Server extension

You can also run a notebook view using the new style (JupyterLab) UI framework: GitHub - jupyter/notebook: Jupyter Interactive Notebook

2 Likes

install the old fashioned notebook interface?

nbclassic provides the jQuery notebook experience. Its maintenance is undefined, as it has approaching zero maintainers.

pip install nbclassic
# then
jupyter nbclassic

notebook 7 provides document-based workflow, but is built on maintained upstream tools (not bower, etc). It is currently maintained.

pip install notebook
# then
jupyter notebook
1 Like

When I create a new notebook by the File->New->Notebook menu, how to make it appear on the same directory as the current notebook, as opposed to the working directory of the jupyter server?