Education Category?

Would it be appropriate to have an Education category? (I hate the google group interface… this is much better!)

1 Like

If there is demand we should create it! The only thing that makes me hesitant towards more (any categories really) is that traffic is still very low and if we fragment too much everyone will feel like nothing is happening. Personally I solved this by only looking at the “Latest” tab/view so I see all the categories.

@choldgraf any thoughts? Otherwise I will create it.

@willingc What do you think?

Perhaps let’s do this…

While I agree about the clunky Google Group interface, we said when we rolled Discourse out for JupyterHub/Binder that we were looking for a better searchable solution for Gitter. I would hold off making a new Education category right now. Instead, I recommend editing the Community category description to clearly encourage education questions/comments there. After the holidays, we can revisit whether/when we should add additional categories.

Thanks for raising as an issue @DougBlank.

2 Likes

I like @willingc’s approach, I think we’re still in the “data collection” phase of the discourse, so still a bit early to start expanding it’s scope. I’d love to revisit the idea of an education section as we learn more what are the best ways discourse could serve the community

1 Like

Hey all - I’d like to ping this topic now that we’ve had several months to digest how the Discourse is developing and diversifying.

At a workshop on education this week, a few folks asked if there was a place on the forum to ask questions about education - I told them that the mailing list would be a better place for edu-specific questions now, but it made me re-think this topic and I’m curious what others think.

Has anybody’s thinking changed around whether it’d be useful to add an education channel here? I recently added a “Special Topics” parent category (#special-topics) that is meant to have usecase-specific categories in there (such as #accessibility). Would it be useful to create one for #education ?