Difference between python extension and regular one

Hello, I have my custom extension which uses react. When I install this extension via jupyter labextension install . it doesn’t work(have some issues with refs). And when I install it with pip install -e . it works like a charm. So, please, can someone explain the difference between these two ways of installing extensions?

Jupyterlab version 3.0.7

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that when I install this extension on my local windows machine via jupyter labextension install ., it also works fine. I have this issue when I’m trying to install it in the docker image from the docker hub with the tag notebook-6.2.0.

This answer is pretty vague because your description of the problem is pretty vague (it would be helpful if you included the actual errors, posted a link to the extension, gave explicit instructions to reproduce the error, etc.).

Is this a source extension, or a prebuilt extension?

jupyter labextension install is only for source extensions, and involves recompiling JupyterLab to include the extension. Prebuilt extensions are installed with pip, and just involve copying necessary files to a special place where JupyterLab can find and load them.

For the differences between different kinds of extensions, see the docs at Extensions — JupyterLab 3.0.10 documentation and Extension Developer Guide — JupyterLab 3.0.10 documentation