Could we set up a spreadshirt shop?

In many situations, people have asked where they can get things like t-shirts with the Jupyter logo on them. In some cases, these folks have even been members of the steering council etc. Thus far, I think we’ve only been able to hand out t-shirts and the like when somebody on the Jupyter grant prints a bunch and gets reimbursed. However, this means we have to hand them out in person, they aren’t printed often, and folks that aren’t connected with the core team don’t have much possibility of getting one.

What do folks think about setting up a shirt and swag shop on something like spreadshirt, redbubble, etc. We’d just include shirts with the vanilla jupyter logo, maybe the wide jupyter logo, etc. We could price them so that we don’t make any money on the shirt, so no money would exchange hands with us, it’d just be between the customer and the online service.

This would allow a much broader audience with the interest and their own $$$ to print shirts for themselves or their groups, and might make it easier for folks to get their hands on shirts etc that they can use to spread the Jupyter logo.

Questions

The main question I have (if people are interested in this at all) is whether there would be some kind of trademark or legal issue with something like this. If that’s not a problem, I don’t think it’d be hard to set something up.

Anybody have opinions about this?

1 Like

I’d buy one (or two or three). Setting it up so there was no profit sounds like a good idea.

For the shop we should pick one that comes recommended/where someone we know has already received a good quality shirt. All to often you get a swag shirt that is basically see through :-/

Another thing to ponder is how the shop sources their shirts etc.

https://teemill.com/ comes recommended from @psychemedia, but I’ve not used them myself.

1 Like

I’m pretty agnostic as to the shop to use. I’ve had good experiences with spreadshirt (we basically did what I’m proposing here for another group at Berkeley a few years ago) but if there’s something with better business practices or a better user experience I’m fine with that too!

The main things I’d want to prioritize for a store like this:

1. We don’t get any money from the process and it creates no financial paperwork
  2. It is mostly “set and forget”, it doesn’t require much consistent upkeep
  3. It is possible for others to use the store without needing any Jupyter people in the loop
1 Like

Teemill is print on demand from ethically sourced materials and with some reasonably sized contracts from looks of tees coming off their line when I saw it running.

They’re a young start up; homebrew automation, RPis and NodeRED programming; I tried to switch them on to notebooks!). They just went circular too (rather than throw an old t-shirt from them away, send it back to them.

But: UK based; not cheap.

I’d love if we can ensure things like ethical sourcing in the t-shirt shop. Assuming that all of my previous conditions are met (e.g., around the amount of labor it takes to maintain etc), I’d prioritize these things in choosing a company to use:

• Ethical sourcing of materials and business practices
  • Any good track record of supporting open communities or open source projects
  • Environmentally-considerate
  • Stable and likely to be around for a while
1 Like

Does anyone know if there is a resource for purchasing “official” t-shirts?

I don’t believe anything like this has been set up. The executive council would likely need to plan and execute this (or delegate it to others).