Use of square and curly brackets on jupyter notebooks and labs 7+

Hi,
I’ve started using Notebook 7 recently, and I found an issue with brackets both { } and [ ]. They are only allowed to create nested structures, when I open at the beginning of a new line, and press enter, it adds the closing bracket and allows me to insert another opening bracket, but it would not allow me to enter the closing bracket directly, need to enter again and so on so forth, in a JSON indented way.
If I try to use [ ] for accessing indexes of my lists, it literally doesn’t work, it does not even let me inserting the opening bracket.
Have you experienced the same? I’m working with Python 3.12 and Jupyter Notebooks 7.2.0a0 but i’ve also seen the same on 7.1.0.

I cannot write a simple:
my_list = [ ]
I would write
my_list =
and the editor does not let me entering [

Same happens when I open a bracket { or [. The editor does not let me enter the } or ]

Any help would be appreciated, I tried all configs possible and i don’t find a solution for this.
If I change the view into NbClassic, it works as usual, but I want to start using the new UI and its features.
Thanks

This reminds me of ‘Jupyter doesn’t let me type the left square bracket’.
Those posting in reply linked to here and here and here.

1 Like

That was it @fomightez! , all my trial and error and investigation was leading me to the shortcuts of Inline Completer, and it was indeed related.

For some reason, I was totally unable to get to that thread by searching in a million different ways over internet.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like