Unable to run Jupyterlab in Dev Mode after Conda build & installation

Hi,

Changed Jupyterlab code:
Made some changes to Jupyterlab code, those changes are visible when I run the Jupyterlab in dev mode.

Uninstalled previous versions of jupyterlab -

pip uninstall jupyterlab

Conda build package:
created a meta.yaml file, gave the source file path to the cloned folder that has jupyterlab code (this folder has been cloned from github and has dev_mode folder) and ran the below command in same directory that had meta.yaml file.

conda build .

This created a tar.bz2 file at opt/anaconda3/conda-bld/noarch/jupyterlab-1.2.4-py_0.tar.bz2

Now, when I open this tar file, it doesn’t have a dev_mode folder. The folder structure is as follows:

jupyterlab-1.2.4-py_0/

/etc/
	/jupyter/
		jupyter_notebook_config.d/
			jupyterlab.json

/info/
	about.json
	files
	git
	hash_input.json
	index.json
	/licenses/
		LICENSE
	link.json
	paths.json
	/recipe/
		/.idea/
		conda_build_config.yaml
		meta.yaml
		meta.yaml.temnplate
	/test/
		run_test.bat
		run_test.py
		run_test.sh
		test_time_dependencies.json

/share/
	/jupyter/
		/lab/
			/schemas/
			/static/
			/themes/

/site-packages/
	/jupyterlab/
	/jupyterlab-1.2.4-py3.8.egg-info/

Though I had my doubts about the missing dev_mode folder, I wanted to go ahead, install the Jupyterlab and see how it works.

Conda Install Jupyterlab:

conda install /Users/user_name/opt/anaconda3/conda-bld/noarch/jupyterlab-1.2.4-py_0.tar.bz2

‘’’
Preparing transaction: done
Verifying transaction: done
Executing transaction: done
‘’’

Now, when I run the command -

jupyter lab --dev-mode

it throws an error :

Cannot find template: “index.html”
In “/Users/user_name/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/dev_mode/static”

Neither my application folder, nor my tar folder have the dev_mode folders in them.

How do I get my dev_mode folder into conda built tar file?

How do I run jupyter lab so the installed tar file shows my code changes when I run ‘jupyter lab’ or ‘jupyter lab --dev-mode’?

I am interested in exactly the same thing. If I find out how to do this I will share on this site.

After upgrading to Jupyterlab 2.1.1, I got the same error when running
jupyter lab --dev-mode

1 Like

To run JupyterLab in dev mode the simplest would probably be to follow the instructions from the contributon guide: https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/blob/604d44d0fbd829b9302063cedfe32c794d446791/CONTRIBUTING.md#installing-jupyterlab

Even this is giving the exact same error as described above.