Sound 🕹

Jupyter makes programming (data science, software) more interactive. Not having sound effects is leaving 20% of the senses/ sources of human-computer interaction off the table.

:desktop_computer: :ear: :brain:

There’s a lot of tech stuff I’d like to see from the project, but I think the simplest yet most powerful and emotional change Jupyter could make is to add subtle sound effects. `Toggleable, of course.

In the simplest form it could be failed cells vs successful cells or “run all cells” succeeding. More advanced: hovering over files in the explorer, different sounds for loops, ifs, functions who knows… dream it.

I used to os.system('say "Biscuits are ready!"') at the end of a long ETL notebook, walk away or change my focus, and it never failed to make me/ those around me laugh every time.

There was some small pyenv, __init__, or os.chdir bug in my setup scripts that resulted in a week of python shell >>> development instead of using Jupyter before it fixed itself. The shell experience really made me appreciate how fluid the programming experience in Jupyter is. I feel plugged-in when I use it. The programming just happens. Sound could make that interactive experience/ competitive advantage even more powerful.

Inspiration:

• :joystick: High Score - new documentary about history of video games.
  • :black_heart: Start with Why - humans primarily emotional/ limbic brain decision makers.
  • :floppy_disk: Outliers - interactivity of time-sharing terminals vs batch time card programming.
  • :computer_mouse: Mother of all Demos/ iPod Touch - a mouse was a new form of touch, multi-touch, haptic feedback.
  • :upside_down_face: Reddit/ GitHub - quirky error messages.
  • :saxophone: JazzIt - python jazz sound effects