Permanently activate line numbers in editor

Is there a way to set the line numbers to always be on in the editor? I can turn them on with View->Line Numbers, and there is an editor setting lineNumbers which is set to true. But I find I must manually turn them on for each file and each time again when it is reopened. I rarely don’t want line numbers, so I would like the default to be “on”. Thanks,

Matt

1 Like

My sentiment about line numbers is exactly the same as Matt. I can’t think of a use case were anyone would turn the line numbering off if the default condition were on. It is a pain in the neck to manually turn them at the start of every session. Output display when a bug crashes the program always points to a specific line number. Some of my classes have 1000 lines. Hoping for relief in a coming release.

Mike

1 Like

I think that this pull request should solve this issue: https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/pull/10868 - could you please help testing it on binder (there is a button in the first comment that will open JupyterLab with this patch applied in the browser for you) to confirm that it helps and works as you would expect?

1 Like

I’m using jupyter lab 4.1.5 and I still need to manually show the line numbers after every time I restart. I’ve made what I thought were the necessary changes to my settings (see below), but see no change in behavior. Not the end of the world, but annoying…

This is tracked in Cannot persist line numbers setting in notebook cells · Issue #15267 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub