Jupyter 7 includes markdown cells in numbering scheme

In Jupyterlab 4.2.2 my Markdown cells are incrementing the cell numbering. For example if I have a 2-cell notebook with a markdown cell followed by a code cell, and I restart and execute all cells, the number next to the code cell is [2]. I’m getting the same behavior in Jupyter Notebook 7.2.1.

While I can see the value of numbering all cells, including markdown cells, I’d like to turn off this behavior and only increment the counter for code cells. I’ve search at length but in vain to find where this setting can be toggled.

Thank you for any suggestions.

UPDATE: I completely re-installed anaconda distribution, and the problem is gone now. I don’t know what I’d done, but it’s working for now.

Did you have any extension installed before? Maybe something like GitHub - executablebooks/jupyterlab-myst: Use MyST Markdown directly in Jupyter Lab could be causing sucha a behaviour?

UPDATE: I completely re-installed anaconda distribution, and the problem is gone now. I don’t know what I’d done, but it’s working for now.

Great to hear it was resolved!

1 Like

It’s possible it was some extension, but a colleague had the same issue and probably didn’t install extensions. Maybe just something glitchy about the anaconda distro. Anyway, thank you for the reply.