Notebook no longer starts

I recently realized that while I have Python 3.12.0 installed, Jupyter notebook was using Python 3.7.3. I thought it would be a good idea to try and get Jupyter to use the same version of Python that python3 is referring to. I spent a few hours on this and seem to have completely broken Jupyter. I am using MacOS 14.0.

Jupyter appears to startup just fine. Although I do see this warning which I believe is new:

/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/json/encoder.py:257: UserWarning: date_default is deprecated since jupyter_client 7.0.0. Use jupyter_client.jsonutil.json_default.
  return _iterencode(o, 0)

But when I try to create a new notebook it hangs. I see a ton of output on the console. The output is probably too long to print in its entirety but it start with:

[I 15:08:35.774 NotebookApp] Creating new notebook in
/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/json/encoder.py:257: UserWarning: date_default is deprecated since jupyter_client 7.0.0. Use jupyter_client.jsonutil.json_default.
  return _iterencode(o, 0)
Exception in callback <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x10fa70fd8>(<Future finis...c7b"\r\n\r\n'>)
handle: <Handle <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x10fa70fd8>(<Future finis...c7b"\r\n\r\n'>)>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/asyncio/events.py", line 88, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
RuntimeError: Cannot enter into task <Task pending coro=<HTTP1ServerConnection._server_request_loop() running at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/http1connection.py:825> wait_for=<Future finished result=b'GET /api/co...ac7b"\r\n\r\n'> cb=[IOLoop.add_future.<locals>.<lambda>() at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/ioloop.py:687]> while another task <Task pending coro=<RequestHandler._execute() running at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/web.py:1711> cb=[_HandlerDelegate.execute.<locals>.<lambda>() at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/web.py:2361]> is being executed.
Exception in callback <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x10f0dd6a8>(<Future finis...c7b"\r\n\r\n'>)
handle: <Handle <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x10f0dd6a8>(<Future finis...c7b"\r\n\r\n'>)>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/asyncio/events.py", line 88, in _run
    self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args)
RuntimeError: Cannot enter into task <Task pending coro=<HTTP1ServerConnection._server_request_loop() running at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/http1connection.py:825> wait_for=<Future finished result=b'GET /nbexte...ac7b"\r\n\r\n'> cb=[IOLoop.add_future.<locals>.<lambda>() at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/ioloop.py:687]> while another task <Task pending coro=<RequestHandler._execute() running at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/web.py:1711> cb=[_HandlerDelegate.execute.<locals>.<lambda>() at /Users/arilamstein/Library/Python/3.7/lib/python/site-packages/tornado/web.py:2361]> is being executed.
Exception in callback <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x10f0dd528>(<Future finis... GMT\r\n\r\n'>)
handle: <Handle <TaskWakeupMethWrapper object at 0x10f0dd528>(<Future finis... GMT\r\n\r\n'>)>

While I would still like to have Jupyter use the same version of Python that python3 refers to, at this point I would settle for simply unbreaking Jupyter.

Any help would be appreciated!

For those interested, see here where OP answered their own issue.

Ari, please don’t post in multiple places about the same issue without keeping them all updated. The easiest way is to be transparent about where you posted the same issue from the outset so that others can look. Otherwise you waste the time of people helping you because different people may say the same thing in multiple places. It also doesn’t help people with the same issue because they may not know it was answered elsewhere without the posts being linked.

@fomightez You are absolutely correct and I apologize for that. Is it possible to delete this post?

No need to apologize. Just guidance for next time.
Plus, I don’t see the need to delete. They are linked now. Maybe having it here will help someone else find help. Up to you though. I think I have abilities to delete it if you don’t & prefer. Just let me know.