No control panel button

Hello,

I want to start notebooks using the notebook interface instead of the lab one.
I have found a way to do it by setting JUPYTERHUB_SINGLEUSER_APP to jupyter_server.serverapp.ServerApp in my config.yaml file.

With it, the notebook interface is started as wanted, bu the “Control Panel” button is not displayed.
Is is a setup to enable it.

I’m using heml chart jupyterhub-1.1.3 (JupyterHub 1.4.2), custom images based on pretty recent docker-stacks.

Using custom “old images” (based on docker-stacks from around 6 months ago) with the same configuration is has the same problem: no “Control Panel” button.

If I remove the JUPYTERHUB_SINGLEUSER_APP setup, “old images” are working as expected, while new images are started with the JupyterLab interface.

Am I missing some configuration? Or is the JUPYTERHUB_SINGLEUSER_APP the wrong way to start image with the notebook interface?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Olivier

What’s the version of jupyterlab and jupyterhub in the image that works and the one that doesn’t?

On the not-working image:

[11:36] ~ $ conda list | egrep 'jupyter(lab|hub) '
jupyterhub                2.0.0rc4                 pypi_0    pypi
jupyterlab                3.2.4              pyhd8ed1ab_0    conda-forge

On the working image:

[11:38] ~ $ conda list | egrep 'jupyter(lab|hub) '
jupyterhub                1.5.0.dev0               pypi_0    pypi
jupyterlab                3.0.14             pyhd8ed1ab_0    conda-forge

Thanks for pointing it out. I will try the last 1.x jupyterhub image to see if it’s the problem.

After test, it seems that getting back to jupyterhub 1.5.0 instead of 2.0.0rc4, and removing the setup JUPYTERHUB_SINGLEUSER_APP resolve my problems.

Thanks for the quick help.