Minor UX - selected text. highlighting other occurrences

Don’t know how heavily you want to invest in text editing, but one of my favorite things about Sublime is that when I highlight text, it will encircle that text if found elsewhere.

Highlight in Sublime:

Highlight in Jupyter:
^ also note that the color contrast of highlight is too low

• For data-intensive operations like numpy/ pandas, especially in dask, you want to keep overwriting the same objects, so the same var should be expected to appear in a lot of places.
  • change a variable name and then need to see where the old name still lives. especially important given non-linear execution (doesn’t bother me… find it helpful) keeps those old variable names alive.
  • typos: ‘encoder_arr’ instead of ‘encoded_arr’

We have an implementation of highlights in GitHub - krassowski/jupyterlab-lsp: Language Server Protocol integration for JupyterLab (code navigation + hover suggestions + linters + autocompletion + rename)

Is this relevant?

Highlight References

Place your cursor on a variable, function, etc and all the usages will be highlighted

Yes, thank you, that describes it.

Installed it without [all]. Will have to play with it a bit more to get it working.

1 Like

For performance, it might be best to limit the highlighting to the same cell as I don’t the Jupyter is indexing it’s content like an IDE