Jupyterlab Upgrade

Hi Team,

Our clients are willing to upgrade the existing juyterlab to the most recent version 1.1.4.
I am here to know the steps and things to be considered while upgrading jupyterlab from version 0.31.5 to 1.1.4.

conda i version :
aq10lah01:/home/ep_basha # conda --version
conda 4.4.10

Jupyter version
aq10lah01:/home/ep_basha # jupyter --version

Jupyter notebook version
aq10lah01:/home/ep_basha # jupyter notebook --version

Python version
aq10lah01:/home/ep_basha # python --version
Python 3.6.4 :: Anaconda, Inc.

Anaconda version
aq10lah01:/home/ep_basha # anaconda --version
anaconda Command line client (version 1.6.9)

Jupyter lab version

SUSE linux vm with version 12.3

We need to upgrade the jupyter lab to version 1.1.4 which is the latest one.

questions like,

1. Does jupyterlab supports python 3.6 ?
  2. what are the things to be backed up for the upgrade?
  3. steps to upgrade?
  4. Does upgrading jupyterlab upgrades all the jars related to python as well?
  5. Does the old version of python jars supports new jupyterlab?
  6. How long does it takes to upgrade?

Any additional information will be helpful.

1 Like

Don’t need backend.
You can use conda create -n new_env python=3.6 and conda activate nev_env to use a new environment. And just install jupyterlab.
Then, you should check that any code in your ipynb is right.

Its a production cluster and as of now we have the conda info as below,
conda info

active environment : None
        shell level : 0
   user config file : /root/.condarc

populated config files : /root/.condarc
conda version : 4.4.10
conda-build version : 3.4.1
python version : 3.6.4.final.0
base environment : /opt/anaconda3 (writable)
channel URLs : https://repo.continuum.io/pkgs/main/linux-64

package cache : /opt/anaconda3/pkgs
                      /root/.conda/pkgs
   envs directories : /opt/anaconda3/envs
                      /root/.conda/envs
           platform : linux-64
         user-agent : conda/4.4.10 requests/2.18.4 CPython/3.6.4 Linux/4.4.114-94.14-default sles/12.3 glibc/2.22
            UID:GID : 0:0
         netrc file : None
       offline mode : False

So just creating new environment and installing jupyterlab works fine or does it also install new instance of python with 3.7?

Here are some direct answers to your questions. However, asking about “jars” for python indicates you aren’t very familiar with conda/anaconda and how packaging in python works, so you might want to consult someone more familiar with your setup and how python is installed as you proceed.

Yes

You’re upgrading through quite a few versions. I think things should be fine, but user settings may not be transferred through the upgrade (i.e., anything in advanced settings, like custom keyboard shortcuts, etc.). Also, you’ll need to reinstall any custom extensions with versions that support jlab 1

I think just conda install jupyterlab=1.1.4 might work. Again, it looks like you have a fairly specialized setup, so you’ll want to consult someone more familiar with how you are using conda and your overall environment.

Upgrading just JupyterLab should not upgrade your python package if you have python 3.6, at least if you are using our official conda-forge package. If you are getting the anaconda jlab 1.1.4 package, you might check with Anaconda (they control the Anaconda package, not us, so they would know).

JupyterLab should work fine with python 3.6.

5 minutes?

1 Like

Hi Jasongrout,

The information provided has given a very clear detailed picture about the upgrade plan. Thank you very much for the quick response.
Yes, I am new to this jupyter upgrade work some of my question were quite illogical I guess sorry for wrong questions if any.

I will consult the respective person and come back to you by tomorrow and update.

Kind Regards,
Manjunath P N

No problem at all, we’re glad you asked! I just wanted to caution you that it would be good to talk with someone who knows your setup and environment, since it seems a bit specialized.

1 Like