Issue with Jupyter and redirecting to Jupyter Note book

Hi Team,

we are trying to access jupyter note book from the command line (ubuntu 20 version), but when we execute the jupyter notebook command its redirecting to the below image.

We tried to execute jupyter notebook list as well at that time its showing currently no servers are running.

we tried follow the instructions showed in the image but not able to understand it.

Please suggest what the next steps and how can we resolve it.

Regards,
Mukhendra

You open a Graphical User interface browser, such as standard Google Chrome or Firefox, on the same machine as you are running the notebook server and put that URL in your browser address bar.

In your example, it is:

http://localhost:8000/treee?token=<THE_LONG_TOKEN_NUMBER>

The issue is you seem to be triggering a text based browser that doesn’t work with Jupyter.

Someone else posted a very similar screenshot here. In that case they didn’t actually share early on that they are using a remote server machine to run the notebook and that the wanted to access it with their local computer. And so if you aren’t doing that,the solutions they needed WILL NOT apply. (What I posted above will apply if you are trying to run the notebook and the browser on the exact same machine. In other words ALL LOCAL, same physical machine.) If using a remote machine is your situation, you’ll want to pay attention to that linked thread with the similar screenshot.

1 Like

Hi Fomightez,

Thanks for the quick response !

May i know how to close this Graphical user interface browser from the server command line.
when i try to execute jupyter notebook --no-browser command we are getting below output.

Can you let us know how to fix it.

Thanks again adavance !

Regards,
Mukhendra

I am not quite following what you are trying to fix?

The image you attached this time is a terminal with the instructions how to connect to your Jupyter notebook. Those instructions assume you are running your Jupyter notebook and the browser to access it on the same physical machine. If that is not the case, I already provided links for what to do to specially link your typical, local graphical browser on your local machine to the remote machine. However, you don’t tell us what you are trying to do. Please review how to write a good post asking for help.

That terminal window you show in this post, you have to leave open in order to keep the notebook server running. If you close that terminal window, without special steps, your notebook server process will be killed. In other words, the screenshot you attached in this post is a window you have to leave open. You don’t want to be executing any command to close that until you are ready to not be accessing your notebook anymore. (When you are ready to end access, hitting CTRL-C in that terminal window as it instructs to shut it down is the typical move. It is written right in your screenshot.) Maybe you attached the wrong screenshot?

Your question brings up closing a “Graphical user interface browser from the server command line.” (Please review what a graphical user interface (often abbreviated a GUI) is if you are unsure. Both screens you attached in your posts are text based, in case you didn’t know. Those are NOT graphical user interfaces in the two screenshots.) I’ll assume you are using Google Chrome for an example. You would open your typical GUI Chrome browser window on your computer, use the URL to connect to your notebook and when done, select Chrome from the menu along the top and then select ‘Quit Google Chrome’ from the bottom of the menu list that comes up. Then over in the terminal window, hit CTRL-C as it instructs to shut it down but keep your terminal window open so you get any information back it wants to stream.