Is this commit not very strange?

73aa219ebe5fdf7600f4fde38f6568c3aafb5706

Isn’t that commit message strange? Isn’t there a standard for accepting commits?

It would be better with a proper message, or if it the PR was squashed but I guess its a bit late to correct this. The associated PR is Use {base_url}/api for checking hub version by jabbera · Pull Request #4567 · jupyterhub/jupyterhub · GitHub in context of which this commit makes sense to me.

If you would like to propose enhancments on how the team handles commit merges I think the right place would be GitHub - jupyterhub/team-compass: A repository for team interaction, syncing, and handling meeting notes across the JupyterHub ecosystem. but I am not part of JupyterHub team - just trying to help on the forum.

1 Like

You’re right that a commit message q isn’t ideal. However in JupyterHub we mostly use PRs to manage code changes. The big advantage of PRs on GitHub is you can easily edit the description, whereas modifying a git commit requires relatively advanced git knowledge, and potentially a force push which is potentially dangerous for new developers. Ultimately there’s a balance to be achieved between encouraging contributions vs enforcing strict standards. We’re always open to feedback though!

3 Likes

My friend, no need to force push anything. The commit message can be changed before it is merged, as long as someone demands it!