Introduce yourself!

Hi all,

I am an academic with interest in methodology for computational and data science. Python, IPython and now the Jupyter ecosystem play a big role in this. I am leading data analysis software integration and development at the European XFEL in Germany and computational modelling research at the University of Southampton (United Kingdom). Research interests include reproducibility, software engineering for computational and data science, and use of emerging technology such as interactive teaching materials.

I am involved in the OpenDreamKit and other projects, supporting Jupyter developments such as nbval, and generally try to attract research funding that allows to contribute to the open source ecosystem of research software and tools.

Feedback, questions or ideas for future (joint) work are very welcome - please get in touch!

4 Likes

I am a computer support at University of Tampere, Finland. I have maintained SageMath with SageNB for years.

Now I plan to glue Jupyterhub and Shibboleth, and put at least SageMath, Julia and Python 3 as kernels for that. The server would be useful for both teaching mathematical courses and some basics of programming.

5 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Min! Iā€™m a research engineer at Simula Research Lab in Norway, and I work all over Jupyter, but especially on JupyterHub and Binder these days.

5 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™m Robin, Iā€™ve a physics background and now work with satellite imagery and building optical systems. In my spare time I contribute to Home-Assistant and am also a big fan of micropython.

5 Likes

Hi. Iā€™m Matthew and Iā€™m a physics Ph.D. candidate working on the ATLAS experiment at CERN. Iā€™ve been a user of Jupyter and Binder for research since I found it in 2014/2015. Iā€™m also a core developer of the high energy physics focused statistical analysis package pyhf which used rendered Jupyter notebooks and Binder for all of our documentation examples. Binder has also made it possible for us to give live demos of our software during talks without ever having to worry about what machine weā€™re on.

Iā€™m very much looking forward to continuing to follow (and hopefully contribute) to the development of Jupyter and Binder. :+1:

6 Likes

Hi, I am Fred. I have worked at Bloomberg since 1985. Started there building mortgage securities analytics in Fortran. My prior experience was on Wall Street. Before that I worked for a firm that did utility pricing before there was a ā€œcloudā€. Then, it was called time-sharing. :grinning:

Arrived there after departing from a graduate program in Physics.

Current interests are JupyterHub, JupyterLab, of course, and doing some sort of in-house Binder. Just getting my feet wet with TLJH, at the moment.

5 Likes

Hi, I am Kenan. I am working at GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences in Cologne. Since 1 year I work in ORC (Open Research Computing) project which is mainly based on Jupyter tools. I am really happy to work closely with this nice community and to be able to contribute as far as I can.

6 Likes

Hi, I my name is Ernesto, I am currently work on Jupyterhub at UC Santa Barbara for the College of Letters and Sciences. I have been a Linux System Administrator for 10 years.

5 Likes

Iā€™m Aleksandra and I work for Stencila helping make Stencila open source components fit researchersā€™ needs. That includes making Stencila interoperable with Jupyter ecosystem. Iā€™m based in beautiful Aotearoa (Māori for ā€œNew Zealandā€).
Iā€™m looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!

6 Likes

Hi there! I am Lex Nederbragt from the University of Oslo (UiO). I teach Python using UiOā€™s JupyterHub for bachelor students in biology, as well as using local installations in Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry workshops.

3 Likes

Hi! Iā€™m Guillaume, Iā€™m a distributed software engineer and also HPC cluster admin at CNES (French space agency). Iā€™m involved in Pangeo project and its ecosystem (mainly Dask). I recently deployed a Dask/Pangeo enabled Jupyterhub at CNES, and Iā€™m using it to share useful material for better distributed science on our cluster.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Ā”Hola!
Iā€™m Sergio, I work as a research associate at the Public Policy Institute of California in the Higher Education Center. I research Higher Ed public policy in California. I mostly use Jupyter notebooks in my workflow nowadays (yay!).

Iā€™m on a quest to have everyone incorporate them in their workflow too at work :joy:

5 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™m Anderson, a software engineer at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. Iā€™m involved with Pangeo project. Currently, I am working on deploying JupyterHub on NCARā€™s infrastructure. Iā€™m looking forward to learning a lot from this community!

5 Likes

Hi,

Iā€™m Hagen and I work as a data scientist at idalab.de. I am from Germany and have a background in electrical engineering, computer engineering and computer science. I looked for solutions to empower our employees with a reliable workspace in the cloud which can be scaled up and uses the technologies they are used to (Jupyter, Pydata stack). I stumbled on pangeo and learned a lot about Jupyterhub, Kubespawner and Kubernetes as well as distributed computing. Hopefully I can give something back.

Cheers,

Hagen

6 Likes

Hello :wave: Iā€™m Sarah, a Data Scientist in the Alan Turing Instituteā€™s Research Engineering team. Iā€™m currently involved in building a BinderHub related to reproducible research. Iā€™m a complete Binder/BinderHub novice so Iā€™d welcome any advice in getting started :blush:

7 Likes

Hello, there! My name is Doug, and I have been a big fan of Jupyter since it was born. Iā€™m a Computer Science college professor (25 years) and taught all of my courses for the last 4 years in Jupyter. That included kernels in Processing/Java, Assembly Language, Scheme, and even a little language called Python :smile: Iā€™ve helped two departments take advantage of Jupyter (Physics and Biology) and have many friends in the Jupyter community, some I have even met In Real Life. Now, Iā€™m retiring from academics and transitioning to a startup working on Machine Learning, Python, and ā€¦ Jupyter!

6 Likes

Hi all! Iā€™m Vinitra, a former UC Berkeley grad student and current software engineer at Microsoft AI. Iā€™m currently working on the ONNX ecosystem, an open source collaboration between Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon and many many more partners to create a model format for deep learning framework interoperability.

I love Jupyter Notebooks and I love data science education, and so I spent many late nights pinging @yuvipanda and @ryan on Slack while we worked on the JupyterHub/OkPy autograding deployment for UC Berkeleyā€™s data science curriculum. After graduating, I was a summer lecturer for UC Berkeleyā€™s Foundations of Data Science (Data 8), a class with a 50-50 gender ratio, 60+ majors represented, and run entirely on Jupyter notebooks. So excited to see whatā€™s in store for this community! :smile:

6 Likes

Hi Iā€™m Kirstie Whitaker - Iā€™m a research fellow at the Alan Turing Institute in London and Iā€™m working to incentivise reproducible research. Iā€™m really interested in how we can use a binder hub that is locally installed to make it easy for supervisors to support their grad students in using version control & package management. For example, whether we can use binder to share private code and data within research teams so that a busy professor can review but doesnā€™t need to install everything! Iā€™m working with @sgibson91on exactly that :sparkling_heart:

Thank you so much to all the jupyter team! And especially the core binder folks :raised_hands::heart::rocket:

6 Likes

Hej! My name is Jan and I use JupyterHub for teaching statistics, an introduction to computer science and political science. Its a crazy combination, I know! We started this in the summer with 30 students, now we have 200. A part of me wants this growth to be linear, the other half not so much :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes