Introduce yourself!

Once upon a time I started a little project named MoinMoin…

These days, I’m diving into DS/ML with Python in general, and DevOps Intelligence centered around JupyterHub specifically. The latter resulted in the Debian package I just announced, and will likely continue with some Docker image work, publishing / reporting solutions (to HTML, PDF, and Confluence), and some docs around the workflows using all that (see here for a start).

6 Likes

Hi all, I’m Sebastian, a faculty member at the University of Colorado Boulder teaching and doing research at the interface between the earth and life sciences. We use Jupyter Notebooks (R/python/C++) and Binder extensively for in-class exercises (e.g. in our computational tools class for PhD students in the bio/geosciences) and for the supplemental materials of research publications. I dream of a future where the analytical/computational part of all peer-reviewed research publications is easily reproducible via a repo+binderhub link that ships with each publication (probably not going to happen any time soon but one can dream ;).

8 Likes

Hello my name Benoît and I use jupyter notebooks for 3 years to teach mathematics and introduce computers to high schools.

5 Likes

Hello, everybody. I’m Darian and I work on JupyterLab. I live in London and work for Two Sigma. I’m glad to be part of this community; it took me a little while to get here.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Hannah. @choldgraf told me to stop bothering him on twitter and post here instead :wink:. I’m a computer grad student/adjunct using a the littlest jupyterhub deployment in my “tech skills for psych students” class and so I keep breaking things.

7 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m Joe. I used python for minor scripting 20 years ago, checking in on scientific computing (for me that means numerical) over the years. Four years ago I committed to becoming a pythonista after 25 years inside the Matlab world. A few months later I was introduced to iPython (Jupyter)- was told it was still less than ready for someone like me (somewhat senior- not involved in software development at all). After that insult I dove in and after about a year converted my only open source package (Engineering Vibration Toolbox) to python- blah bad idea. Reframed and have a much better module now. Wrote and released four more and have since become something of an unofficial python evangelist at my university (my intro talk is flooded when ever I have time to give it). I’m someone who shouldn’t have time “for this”, but this is such a fun break from my “day job” that I can’t resist developing. It’s a great time to be a coder! https://github.com/josephcslater

7 Likes

Hello, I’m Kevin. I spend my time in and around Enterprise Gateway - which essentially distributes kernels across compute clusters. Since it directly depends on Notebook and jupyter_client, I’ve also spent quite a lot of time understanding those projects with respect to kernel management.

4 Likes

Magnus Sälgö from Sweden play around with Wikidata and like what I see of Jupyter… I can see Jupyter as an excellent way to make access to Open Data easier…

4 Likes

I am Ryan Abernathey of Columbia University / Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory. I’m part of the Pangeo project for big data geoscience, where we are using Jupyter tech extensively. In my spare time, I’m a physical oceanographer.

6 Likes

Hi! I am Fabien Maussion, a climate scientist and glaciologist. I use Jupyter Notebooks a lot for teaching, and more recently also mybinder for education and outreach (http://edu.oggm.org). I’d like to have “my own” JupyterHub on the cloud, and I wish I didn’t have to do it myself but it looks like I’m gonna have to, if I want one.

4 Likes

Hi Fabien

So are you struggling to get your institution to run notebooks too? I think it could be useful if we try to pool ideas about how to try lobbying for such things (I’ve been failing to persuade my institution to run one for over four years now, since back when they were IPython notebooks!)

–tony

2 Likes

Hey @fmaussion and @psychemedia - wanna continue that particular thread here: Deploying JupyterHub at your institution ? I think that’s a common situation many of us are in!

3 Likes

Hey all. Just joined myself and I’m liking this well-organized forum.

1 Like

Hi, I am Bouarfa, PhD in Physics and owner of a small sized IT company. My hobby is designing Mathematical Model for Quantitative Finance. This month I have hired a freelancer for setting up jupyterhub on google cloud. Hope he will complete the job. This jupyter environment is perfect for my hobby because I can hire simultaneously several python developers in order to build the Algorithm based on the mathematical model.

4 Likes

Hi,
I’m Christian and I’m trying for years now to introduce and Python and Jupyter Notebooks into courses at the Munich University for Applied Sciences (mainly in the field of digital signal processing).
What has failed for me so far:

• Getting students to install a local copy of Matlab or Python (I’ve completely switched to Python a few years ago) and work with code snippets
  • Same, only with IPython / Jupyter Notebooks
  • Using Wakari / Binder / … - services were unavailable all the time
  • Using servers at the university due to lack of support and hardware. At least we got a JupyterHub installation running, complemented by some scripts to aid the administration of courses and distribution of material. Then we had to trash everything.

Currently, I’m trying Microsoft’s Azure Notebook server.

Combined with very dynamic development of the Jupyter ecosystem, the process has been very frustrating at times.

Still, I think Jupyter Notebooks are one of the best ideas since the inventions of the overhead projector!

You can find my projects at pyFDA (DSP filter tool) and dsp_fpga (documents and notebooks for my DSP lecture, German only).

Cheers,
Christian

5 Likes

Hello All, my name is Ryan and I am a data analytics professional. I used Jupyter Notebooks in the Microsoft ecosystem.

4 Likes

Hi,
I’m Sofiane, a computer scientist working on providing platforms for climate data processing and visualization. Currently, working on multiple extensions on top of JupyterHub/Jupyter to facilitate data management.

4 Likes

Greetings! I’m eager to get back in touch with some old friends and hopefully new as well… I’ve been bouncing between mildly-annoyed researcher and programmer / educator trying to improve research process for over two decades now.

Currently, I find myself at a start-up called Gigantum where we’re working on a different approach to coordinating data science tools - Jupyter being central among them. I’m joining to explore potential for collaboration with the community, starting with ideas about “user” (aka scientist) research.

4 Likes

Hello,
I’m John. I work as a Management Analyst for a non-profit Health Information Exchange. Our team unofficially adopted Jupyter Lab as our workspace in conjunction with GitHub for version control and project management. We work with a non-sql database in a custom Python environment. We refer to it as ‘Rattlesnake’ as our vendor has added custom packages and functions with structure and rulesets we have to use.

4 Likes

Hi.
I’m Lukas. I am researcher on Machine Learning and Path Planning in Robotics. My has been using jupyter lab for teaching and demonstration, as well as sharing an explaining code.
We work on extensions and implementations on Jupyter to facilitate the interaction possibilities and available features.

4 Likes