If its possible to connect local jupyterlab or notebook to jupyterhub?

Is its possible to connect local jupyterlab or notebook to jupyterhub?
Reason: for data scrapping and other Web/Gui automation user needs run time interaction with the web and Gui App, if the spawner starts a jupyterlab server on the hosted machine, the client machine won’t be able to see interact with the web app. I wants collaborative environment with local resource for jupyterlab

Not easily. In theory you could write your own Spawner that launches JupyterLab on a chosen machine, but that’s a lot of work to implement.

Can you tell us a bit more about your use-case? For example, there are ways to run web apps inside/alongside JupyterLab.

I have a GUI app on my system, in order to automate this, it must be visible on my screen, I have a script that works fine in jupyterlab because it’s on the same machine, but when I run using jupyterhub server, its start jupyter server, not on my local machine, so it won’t do the same for which it was scripted.

If you want to run code on your local system, then JupyterHub is not the right tool for the job, since the point of it is running code on remote, hosted systems.

If you’re talking about things like real-time collaboration, that’s a Jupyter Lab feature, not JupyterHub. You can use it to collaborate on a local server without getting JupyterHub involved, by running jupyter lab --collaborative locally.

I have a script that works fine in jupyterlab because it’s on the same machine, but when I run using jupyterhub server, its start jupyter server, not on my local machine, so it won’t do the same for which it was scripted.

@kamranhaq21 it sounds like you want JupyterHub instance to communicate with your local GUI app. If this GUI is a local web app, you can consider exposing the local endpoint with something like https://ngrok.com/ and then have your JupyterHub talk to this endpoint for scraping etc.

Thank you… maybe it’ll work for me. let me go through it…

Actually, the idea behind my question is to provide a collaborative environment for my team using jupyterhub to Automate some GUI and Web base using python. Our applications don’t have API’s so we use CV or OpenCV libraries or simply click on the GUI element.

There are a few tools for working with heavyweight desktop tools in a remote/hub setting:

2 Likes

Thank you!! its helps a lot. “–collaborative” functionality was added in jupyterlab 3.1.0 and using jupyterlab-link-share allows me to share single user server or if enable password config then just IP:Port needed to access my server.

but the problem is still unsolved if run a selenium library function Open Browser to automate a process using a client machine it will open the browser in the server machine.

Thank you once again… :slight_smile: