Getting start on contributing- Best suggestions For a Devoplers Environment?

I’m starting to try and contrinute to jupyterhub (and lab, and whatever other layer of the stack needs work). I was wondering what other people have for a set up to do so?

This is the error I’m going to challenge first, I honestly can’t tell if the javascript debug console is obfuscated or not lol:

Yes, it is hard to read these errors in minimized source code. You may want to build jupyterlab locally and then start with --dev-mode which will enable source maps and make debugging much easier. Please see sections Setting up a local development environment and Installing JupyterLab.

You may also want to try Contributing from within the browser but it can only get you so far. There is also a PR posposing revival of a docker env for development: Create dev environment with docker by trungleduc · Pull Request #15111 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub if this is something that works for you.

For quick questions on JupyterLab-adejcent tooling you may get a quicker answer on gitter: https://gitter.im/jupyterlab/jupyterlab

1 Like

Hi thanks Michał

1. --dev-mode…ok but… from jupyterhubLocalProcessSpawnerjupyterhub-singleuser where do I put --dev-mode and other lab arguments? A config for jupyterhub-singleuser? No idea.
  2. Any idea where to start for modifying UI? (ie menus and first launcher)
  3. Any idea where to start for improving websockets/network connection logic (IE user experience on shoddy connections)?

Thanks so much!

You posted a screenshot of the browser console with tracebacks from jupyterlab assets (as hinted by jlab_core.<hash> so I assumed you wanted to investigate these; they all come from JupyterLab and --dev-mode I suggested (with a link to relevant documentation) is how you build JupyterLab locally without minimization (what you called obfuscation - it is not obfuscation but closer to compression). Again, see Contribute — JupyterLab 4.0.8 documentation

I cannot post an authorative answer about JupyterHub but I would start by looking at Contributing — JupyterHub documentation

Depends on which menu and which launcher. If you post a screenshot I can point you in the right directin but it is not clear if you are referring to a JupyterHub or JupyterLab component.

This is a very broad question with no simple answer. Are there any relevant issues in JupyterHub/JupyterLab GitHub repository?

1 Like

Hey thanks @krassowski ! It’s a VERY complicated system. The documentation is pretty good.

1 Like