Edit MyST files with JupyterLab with MyST file containing only the inputs

I really miss the feature to be able to save the input and the output in different files (as discussed a long time ago here) and to have the input in a nice human readable format really adapted for versioning (more Markdown or MyST than how are formated .ipynb files).

At the same time, I’d like to edit the input file simply with JupyterLab and to have the output of the notebook automatically saved somewhere else (in another file).

Now I have many .ipynb files in repositories just to save input. I know that the committed versions of these files will always only contain the input cells. But (i) the format .ipynb is not well adapted for human reading as text (I know nbdime but I’d also like to be able to use standard tools to visualize the diff) and (ii) Jupyter modifies the files to include output and metadata that have nothing to do with the input.

I feel that MyST, Jupytext and jupyterlab-myst could be used to get a good solution for such need, but this is still not really at all.

I wonder if JupyterLab could be tough to open .myst file as a notebook in which only the input are saved in the .myst file. It would be nice and simple to have an associated standard notebook file .ipynb containing both the input and the output.

Now something similar to this idea can be obtained with paired notebooks but this is really complicated for the user.

It seems to me that there should be a very easy way to setup such configuration (just install an extension?).

I’d like to ask about the feasibility of such plan but I don’t know where to ask.