Can I start a Jupyter Lab with some preset examples for user to use?

I maintain an app on Open Ondemand for users to start Jupyter Lab on HPC cluster. Recently I get a request from users, they hope that when they start Jupyter Lab they can have some preset notebooks to get started with, instead of writing notebook from scratch.

I think one of the good place to put those example notebooks is launching page but I don’t know if it is possible. Or is there other solutions to fullfill the users’ requirement? Thank you.

If you own the environment, you can create a default, and any number of custom workspaces, and put them in a well-known location:

https://jupyterlab.readthedocs.io/en/stable/user/urls.html

This includes any open documents, such as notebooks, as well as sidebar settings, etc.

There are probably other tricks that could be used, but this is generally the most robust.

1 Like

I am not sure if I understand it correctly. Do you mean I can have a folder, for example /share/notebooks, to host sample notebooks. And then I can create a workspace with those notebooks opened?

Yes, any contents would need to be in a predictable place, with respect to the notebook_dir (usually the directory with jupyter lab or jupyter notebook is started).

Then, once the structure is well-defined (perhaps as exported with the File → Save Current Workspace As)

jupyter workspace import my-workspace.workspace

For an example, see:

Note: without knowing a lot more about the specific deployment: doing this every the time, means that a user would lose their ability to save have their specific workspace loaded, potentially, which might be frustrating.

Another approach is to use the relatively simple /lab/tree/path/to/Notebook.ipynb URL pattern, however the system is handling redirects.