Brainstorm a tag-line for BinderHub

Lots of tools have a short, descriptive explanation of the tool and their product. For example, this is the first thing you see in the Colaboratory intro notebook:

Colaboratory is a free Jupyter notebook environment that requires no setup and runs entirely in the cloud.

With Colaboratory you can write and execute code, save and share your analyses, and access powerful computing resources, all for free from your browser.

Can we come up with something similar for Binder? We’d love some ideas from the community!

For example, here are a few that @betatim and I came up with:

Mybinder.org

…creates custom computing environments that can be shared and used by many remote users.

…Open any public git repository in an executable environment from your browser

…create sharable, interactive, reproducible environments from your public git repository.

…gives you one-click workstations in the cloud

…with one click, launch a workstation in the cloud

…lets you launch customizable environments to execute your code

…is a free notebook environment that you can customize, share, and run entirely in the cloud

or:

• create live executable code environments from public git repositories

• 1-click Jupyter notebook environments based on your public git repository

• launch custom built notebook environments based on your public git repository

1 Like
  • 1-click live executable code environments based on public git repositories
1 Like

Important to add this to description. Feedback from the enterprise summit.

1 Like

I like @betatim’s suggestion: “click live executable code environments based on public Git repositories”.

Perhaps we can make a little poll after this so people can pick ones they like?

1 Like

How about the following tag line and longer description:

Mybinder.org lets you run custom computing environments that require no setup and run entirely in the cloud.

With mybinder.org you can execute code from any public Git repository without having to install anything, all for free and from your browser.

These are the best so far, but still WAY too technical. All what I’ve seen so far tells you WHAT happens, but not WHY – think about a “I visit a git repo and click on that funny ‘binder’ button, what do I get?” type of scenario.

So take a customer / end user POV, or a repo maintainer’s view but with an end-user aspect (what good things can I provide my end-users? / how can I lower my support burden using a live demo?).

Let your users interact with a live/executable/runnable version of your Git repository, without having to install anything, all for free and from your browser.

is about the best I can think of.

I am not sure people who click on the badge are the “customers” of BinderHub, it might be that the “customers” are those who create those badges/interactive books/documentation/etc. There are so many things you can do that persuading someone in a concise way why they should click one of those badges is really hard (it depends on what will happen: shiny app, documentation, demo, journal article,…) that that is maybe best left to the individual repository owners (we could help them by having some stock sentences to build on).

Do you have some suggestions?

Related to this, we might want a different tagline for a user of a BinderHub, vs. a tagline for a deployer of a BinderHub

I think many people who’d be interested in Binder have the concept of a “code environment”…what are other concepts we can assume vs. those we should explain?

If you wanna be cute, “Run your notebooks in the cloud for free, with technology so advanced, it feels like magic!” :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I like it. Though the pedant in me wants to use this opportunity to remind everyone that you don’t have to have notebooks to use BinderHub :slight_smile:

Maybe not worth being pedantic about, though I always feel pained when people dismiss it as an option because “We use R…” or “We hatedislike notebooks…” and somehow BinderHub has gotten stuck in people’s heads as the thing that only works with one particular kind of notebook, the Jupyter kind.

I liked it so much it got used as a tweet :slight_smile:

https://twitter.com/mybinderteam/status/1110453888770105344

“Let anyone run your code, reproducibly, for free”

“No installation. No requirements. No effort. Just run your code.”

2 Likes

Run your code on our computers

1 Like

Here’s a question: should a tag line such as this be purely informative, or should it try to distinguish itself from other offerings that are out there?