Best workflow with workspaces?

Hello,

I’m starting to use JupyterLab for a number of different things, so workspaces seem a nice feature, as I only have to remember the name of the project, and then a number of related notebooks open easily, so it is quite convenient.

But the workspace feature doesn’t seem very mature yet (I cannot easily list the save workspaces, or delete one, etc.). As far as I know you can only do that from the terminal, by listing/removing the files manually.

Is there any way / plugin / etc. to get a more streamlined workspace workflow?

Thanks

1 Like

You are absolutely right, I would love to have better workflow for workspaces too!

There is a consensus that a GUI for workspaces is an important feature and the community developing JupyterLab has agreed that they would like to see it in JupyterLab 4.0 release (see 4.0 Release Plan · Issue #9647 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub). However, no one has volunteered to work on this so far, so I am not sure if it will make it into 4.0.

The good news is that this is open source and if you wold like to contribute, or encourage someone to contribute, there is already some advanced design work in Create a workspaces GUI · Issue #6944 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub which would help guide the implementation.

In any case you are very welcome contribute to the discussion in the workspaces GUI issue; I would be interested to know if you find any of the proposed solutions better than others, or if you may have even a better idea than the existing proposals.

3 Likes

I went through the issue, and I definitely like the proposal made at issue #6944 prototype here

It looks clean, simple, easy to find, and enough for my type of workspaces workflows.

1 Like

Perhaps related to this (I’m not sure) is that in the kernels list I see several kernels repeated, as you can see in the attached image. I’m under the impression that this happens when changing between workspaces, so I end up manually having to kill the repeated kernels, and just leaving one for each open tab. I will try to find a simple reproducible scenario.