About the Governance category

A place to discuss governance and decision-making processes for the Jupyter community.

Hello @choldgraf, could you elaborate on this a bit? Links and references could also be of help.

At Governance Office Hours Meeting Minutes we see that those meetings are open to community members but who is considered a community member and who could become one under which conditions and which obligations come with it? What is the internal structure of the Jupyter Project? Is there some kind of organigram with different bodies? For me the term community member means (1) there are different ranks and (2) the meetings are not open to anyone even though the zoom link is shared publicly.

In addition, where are are borderlines between these decision-making bodies, Jupyter community members, interested contributors, users etc.? How are those roles defined in the project? I have some open issues on github, none of them urgent to me, some of them also other people are interested, and it seems like nobody “from the project” has time to discuss those with me. I can understand that since there might be many more urgent cases, or other suggestions could add more value to the product etc. There can be lots of reasons. Still I would like to understand how this process works. I had bad experiences in other projects with just writing a pull request that objected the personal ideas of the author of that package and got rejected. I wouldn’t want to go through that again - hence my wish to first have a quick talk about whether they agree with my idea or have suggestions for how this fits into the project best (selection of programming pattern etc.). I have very limited time myself (mostly sacrificing my freetime) so either way any addition to a project would take long for me. Sometimes it could be great to see a bit better why some issues have a lower priority than others, also for my personal time scheduling purposes. Is that also part of what is decided somewhere in a centralized manner?

It could be great if you could add some lines to this category for better understanding. Thank you so much!

Anyone can join the governance meetings. “Community” is not a term of art, it’s a description of people who have an interest in Jupyter. The meeting link is posted publicly because the meeting is open for interested people to join.

Project Jupyter’s governance structure is laid out here: https://github.com/jupyter/governance/ and linked to on the main page’s “About” section: https://jupyter.org/about

1 Like

That answers my question pretty well, thank you @afshin!

1 Like

Cheers @1kastner! :+1: