Wrong JupyterLab version in Desktop app

Hi all,

I have been trying to set up JupyterLab on my Laptop to continue on my Notebook that i used on my PC. I installed the newest version of the Desktop app (4.1.4-1). I realised there were many differences in UI and settings to my PC (4.0.12-1). After checking more closely, i realised that on my laptop the version of JupyterLab (when checking in the Notebook under Help - About JupyterLab i tells me that I have Version 3.3.2 of JupyterLab installed eventhough my console tells me that I have version 4.1.4 installed.
I checked with the commands:
jupyterlab --version
jlab --version
jupyter --version

I tried fully uninstalling everything related to Jupyter and reinstalling it but it didnt help.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this?

are you using any virtual environment?
did you check if Jupyter is globally installed ?

No, I am not using any virtual environments.
I tried to uninstall it and couldn’t find any other installation of jupyter and then freshly installed it.
Is there a way to check for other installations?

When I faced similar issue I tried the solution shown here - leaflet - Steps for doing a clean uninstall and reinstall Jupyter-Lab and then ipyleaflet on Ubuntu Linux 20.04 - Stack Overflow

I verified after uninstalling jupyter, by doing ‘where jupyter’

If you used pip to install it use the same to uninstall it, same goes for brew or any other ones you might have used.

Btw, are you doing pip install jupyterlab==x.x.x to install specific version?

hope one of these steps helps

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I followed the steps and also saw that I had an extension called nbclassic installed which might have also been the problem.
After doing the clean uninstall and uninstalling nbclassic it now works as i want it to.
Thank you so much for your help

1 Like