Materials Genome Foundation (MGF) is a fully-remote, nonprofit organization that organizes virtual and in-person Jupyter-based workshops and promotes open-source software sustainability. MGF is currently funded by NSF POSE to write its strategic plan for sustainability of the materials open-source ecosystem, with significant work to occur this summer. We are looking to hire a fully-remote, part-time person to be the lead for this activity, while being supported by an outside contractor and volunteers. Following completion of this work, there is potential to transition to a full-time position in Phase II of this project.
Details are included below. I’ll monitor this thread if there are general questions, while I recommend reaching out to the contact email if you have questions specific to your situation.
Position: Strategic Planning and Capture Lead (Remote, Part-Time, Fixed-Term)
Location: Fully remote
Organization: Materials Genome Foundation, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization
As the Strategic Planning and Capture Lead, you will:
- Collaborate closely with the Materials Genome Foundation (MGF) Board, The Pennsylvania State University (PSU), and a support contractor to develop a strategic plan for the sustainability of the PyCalphad and ESPEI OSE.
- Organize and lead meetings, serve as the main point of contact for the support contractor, and serve as the principal editor for the strategic plan.
- Engage with external stakeholders, identified by the MGF Board and representing diverse areas across academia, industry, and government, through structured discussions to inform the strategic plan.
- Ensure the strategic plan fosters user community engagement, lowers barriers to entry for new projects, and promotes diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion (DEIA) in outreach activities.
Employment Duration: This fixed-term position will conclude no later than August 31, 2023. Upon successful completion, there is potential for transition to a full-time remote position as Principal Investigator for OSEMatS, subject to MGF Board approval and Phase II continuation of the project.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A background in open-source development, science, engineering, and/or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and proposal management.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Legal eligibility to work in the United States.
Compensation: $55-75/hr., with an expected commitment of 10-20 hours per week. Please note that this is not a benefits-based position.
Reporting Structure: The Strategic Planning and Capture Lead will report directly to the MGF Managing Director.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and individuals who will contribute to the diversity of our team.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. For fullest consideration, submit no later than May 19, 2023.
Learn more about our organization and the OSEMatS project by visiting: