Potential security issue?

I offer jupyter notebook instances to users.
The instances are setup so that a random token is generated, and the user receive a url containing the token (eg. http://35.12.23.24:8888/?token=fdeb28d49186887fd091e24092853b43).

This generates a cookie for the user, such that the url http://35.12.23.24:8888 does not require the token later on.

When the instance is destroyed, and a new one is created using the same IP address but on a different server, I am able to login with the existing cookie in my browser using the url without token, no token is requested. Removing the cookie disables access to the server.

I see no reason how this is happening, the instances are created from the same base image but are deployed on different servers. I confirmed that the token generation was different on every occasion.

The token is set in jupyter_notebook_config.py with
“c.NotebookApp.token = ‘45711f4141c6630d1370e0b687f2ac93’”

1 Like

Forgive me, I might be all wet, but here goes. . . .

Note that this is not based on my experience with Jupyter, (I have virtually none), but with my experience using client-server authenticated sessions.

This kind of process - in general - creates a token that binds a particular machine/browser/whatever with a particular server IP address. Jupyter appears to be doing the same thing, and doing it in the same general way.

It does this by generating a unique token, embedded into a persistent cookie, that is used to demonstrate if this particular user/browser has successfully authenticated here before.

In other words, I have machine “X”, and I go to your server at 35.12.23.24:8888. When I do this, the server system generates a unique token that associates my machine with your server located at 35.12.23.24. Even if that IP is a “front-end load balancer”, the association is between my specific machine and the server(s) located behind that particular IP address.

If I break that connection and then re-connect, I would expect that I would not need a new token because I have already been associated with that particular “server” (i.e. IP address) and the persistent cookie containing that token proves I’ve been there.

That’s what these things are supposed to do, and, (as far as I can tell), the behavior is exactly what I would expect to happen.

In your case it might not matter; but you should pay attention to this when using any kind of token/cookie based authentication method.

Perhaps you can explain what you want to be happening and why it needs to be happening that way?

A better description of what you want to accomplish and how you expect it to work, might help those who know more about this guide you.

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
Our goal is to setup jupyter notebook servers automatically.
The desired result is that when a different user receives a notebook server, we do not wish that previous users of a notebook server on that IP can get access.
Eventually we would embed it in an IFrame.

For now it seems we can prevent our issue by using setting c.NotebookApp.cookie_secret.

Would we be better off setting a random password instead? It seems the token remains valid also after setting a password.

1 Like

That is probably Jupyter-specific, which I claim zero expertise within.

Hopefully, someone who knows more about this in the Jupyter context can join in and help.

I regularly start/stop/recreate jupyter notebook instances, and have never seen the issue you describe. If I don’t provide the updated token I can’t access the notebook server. For example, if you run

docker run -it --rm -p 8888:8888 jupyter/base-notebook

multiple times you’ll always need to use the new token to connect to http://localhost:8888.

Could you please:

• tell us exactly how you’ve deployed your VMs
  • show us your config file?
1 Like

Our config file looks like this:

c.NotebookApp.open_browser = False
c.NotebookApp.token = '615faf40a40465er0dbcf4e2b47190d2'
c.NotebookApp.custom_display_url = 'Jupyter Notebook'
c.NotebookApp.ip = '*'
c.NotebookApp.port = 8888
c.NotebookApp.allow_password_change = True
c.NotebookApp.quit_button = False

We copy an image which has an anaconda environment containing Jupyter Notebook and add these settings upon initialization. We generate the random token so we can build the url. (eg. http://1.2.3.4:8888/?token=615faf40a40465er0dbcf4e2b47190d2)

We’ve now added

c.NotebookApp.cookie_secret

Set to a random value, which seems to fix our issue.
The main difference I can think of is that we set the token vs letting Jupyter generate one.

1 Like

It sounds like you might’ve inadvertently baked a cookie secret into your image, which means it’s re-used instead of being regenerated:

This could potentially happen if you run jupyter-notebook at any point during the creation of the image. Did you create the image manually, is is it fully automated?

3 Likes

I think that’s probably exactly what happened, the image contains over 100 packages so during setup I ran several notebooks to test if all packages were present and working correctly.

Thanks for the info!

2 Likes