Permission denied error traitlets z2jh

Hello,

I keep getting a new error when I tried to deploy z2jh on a new system. here is the error:

[W 2024-01-21 16:38:06.933 ServerApp] notebook_shim | error linking extension: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/jovyan/.local'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.11/site-packages/traitlets/traitlets.py", line 626, in get
        value = obj._trait_values[self.name]  # type: ignore
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^
    KeyError: 'browser_open_file'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/opt/conda/lib/python3.11/site-packages/traitlets/traitlets.py", line 626, in get
        value = obj._trait_values[self.name]  # type: ignore
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^
    KeyError: 'runtime_dir'

How could fix it?

best

It looks like youv’e got a permissions problem. Most likely there’s a mismatch in the UID or GID of your user, your container directory, or your mounted storage, or the/directory permissions are incorrect.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I tried many things including running user as root, giving permissions withing initcontainers … but long story short the error originated from setting ReadWriteMany as my storageAccessMode in my pvcs. With readwriteonce it works again. But weird! Do I miss anything with ReadWriteOnce in the case of multiple worker nodes?

best

I don’t know. Maybe you could manually create/delete some pods and volumes on the same/different nodes, play around with the permissions, different users, mounting/unmount/remounting, etc, and verify that everything in your k8s cluster is fully working? Doing it with Z2JH adds another layer of complexity- Z2JH assumes your cluster is behaving correctly.