Non-inline matplotlib/pyplot plots raise error under macOS Monterey in Jupyter Notebooks

When trying to create data plots that are not inlined in a notebook, there is some erroneous behaviour. Either the error described here happens, or the plots are shown and a crash report dialog pops up.

This happens with the following setup:
macOS Monterey 12.1
Python: 3.9.1
matplotlib: 3.5.0
Jupyter: 1.0.0
notebook: 6.4.7
(using a virtual environment)

Example 1:

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
%matplotlib osx
plt.plot(np.arange(100))

This leads to the error described in the stack overflow link mentioned above. The cell with the call to plot() seems to be evaluated repeatedly. Sometimes, a plot window will show but get stuck, due to the repeated calls.

Example 2:

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import matplotlib
matplotlib.use('QtAgg')
plt.plot(np.arange(100))

This runs through smoothly, except for the fact that no plot is shown. The last cell’s call returns [<matplotlib.lines.Line2D at 0x12f076bf1>] though. Adding plt.show() does not help either. With TkAgg backend, the same behaviour is observed. Interestingly, when using MacOSX as a backend, I would expect, that the error from Example 1 would occur, but the behaviour is the same as with the other backends…

How can I plot my data externally to the notebook without any errors under the conditions described above? Please help!