Need help to configure notebook - right error?

Hi everyone,
I’m stuck on a little problem with my Jupyterhub hosted on Kubernetes and deployed my Helm Chart.
I use JupyterHub 2.0.0 from here: hub.jupyter - helm-chart
And I use jupyter minimal-notebook (2022-11-21) from here : quay.io

Symtpomes
When user try to start it’s server (By going on JupyterHub HUB webpage and click on “Start my server”), server never start and I have CrashLoopBack, when I check container of my pod, I see the Image of Minimal-Notebook in state of Error and the logs says <<PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/jovyan/.local’>>

What I tried

1. My error look like this topic : https://github.com/jupyter/docker-stacks/issues/1003
    I tried to start the image with the solution on the topic :
docker run --user root -v new-longhorn-volume:/home/jovyan \
  -e CHOWN_HOME=yes -e CHOWN_HOME_OPTS='-R' \
  -it --rm -p 8888:8888 jupyter/minimal-notebook:2022-11-21

Commit new image named “minimal-notebook-2022-11-21-custom” and import this image on my Harbor Registry, now I use the custom image but the error persist.

1. I see singleuser.allowPrivilegeEscalation in jupyterhub_config.py
    I added this on my yaml :
singleuser:
  cmd: ["start-singleuser.sh"]
  image:
    name: jupyter/minimal-notebook
    tag: "2022-11-21-custom"
  allowPrivilegeEscalation: true
  1. I tried to put “notebook-minimal” to sleep for debuging, by adding this in my yaml :
singleuser:
  cmd: ["start-singleuser.sh"]
  image:
    name: jupyter/minimal-notebook
    tag: "2022-11-21-custom"
  command:    
      - /bin/bash
      - "-c"
      - "sleep infinity"

But not taken into account, maybe a chart problem on my side (I’m looking into it)
In “values.schema.json” I added this :

"singleuser": {
      "type": "object",
      "additionalProperties": true,
      "properties": {
        "command": {
          "type": "array"
        },
       }
    },

If someone have an idea or a suggestion…
In advance, I’m sorry for my bad english

These are runtime options:
https://jupyter-docker-stacks.readthedocs.io/en/latest/using/common.html#permission-specific-configurations

They may or may not have an effect when embedded in built images so you’ll need to pass them in the spawner environment:

The 2022-11-21 image is very old, can you try a more recent version, e.g. 2024-02-21

Hi @manics,
thanks for your feedback ! And sorry for my late reply.
The topic moves forward :slight_smile:

With this solution :

These are runtime options:
Common Features — Docker Stacks documentation

They may or may not have an effect when embedded in built images so you’ll need to pass them in the spawner environment:

I’m able to pass argument in the container.

Now I got this following error :

Warning  Failed                  <invalid> (x3 over <invalid>)  kubelet                    Error: failed to create containerd task: failed to create shim t 
ask: OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: error mounting "/var/lib/kubelet/pods/026 
9a99d-edce-4fde-8a69-fab2f908290f/volume-subpaths/tmp-notebook-groups/notebook/7" to rootfs at "/etc/group": mount /var/lib/kubelet/pods/0269a99d-edce-4fde-8
a69-fab2f908290f/volume-subpaths/tmp-notebook-groups/notebook/7:/etc/group (via /proc/self/fd/6), flags: 0x5000: not a directory: unknown

Probably a mount problem on my part, I dig on my own. I’ll compile a list of solutions.

About this last point :

The 2022-11-21 image is very old, can you try a more recent version, e.g. 2024-02-21

Unfortunately, my cluster is old and we cannot upgrade now… I tried with the last version of JupyterHub on my Kubernetes version 1.25 and I’ve never been able to start it. We have to upgrade Kubernetes cluster first.

Hi there,
topic moves forward :slight_smile: but still have some problem…

So, about this error :

<<PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘/home/jovyan/.local’>>

@manics I used your solution about kubespawner_override :

singleuser:
  image:
    name: quay.io/jupyter/minimal-notebook
    tag: "2024-02-21"
  profileList:
    - display_name: "abcd"
      description: "Test"
      default: true
      kubespawner_override:
        extraEnv:
          CHOWN_HOME: 'yes'
          CHOWN_HOME_OPTS: '-R' 
          CHOWN_EXTRA: "/home/jovyan/"
          CHOWN_EXTRA_OPTS: '-R'
          GRANT_SUDO: "yes"
        uid: 0
        cmd : ['start-singleuser.sh'] 
        allow_privilege_escalation: true

About the error :

OCI runtime create failed: runc create failed: unable to start container process: error during container init: error mounting

It was error in my side, I haven’t configured it properly my configmap. Now it’s back.

The container look like start with root user and now everything looking fine :

Entered start.sh with args: start-singleuser.sh                                                                                                               
Running hooks in: /usr/local/bin/start-notebook.d as uid: 0 gid: 2001                                                                                         
Done running hooks in: /usr/local/bin/start-notebook.d                                                                                                        
Updated the jovyan user:                                                                                                                                      
- username: jovyan       -> jdomper                                                                                                                           
- home dir: /home/jovyan -> /home/jdomper                                                                                                                     
Update jdomper's UID:GID to 1139:2001                                                                                                                         
id: ‘jdomper’: no such user                                                                                                                                   
id: ‘jdomper’: no such user                                                                                                                                   
groupadd: cannot open /etc/group                                                                                                                              
Stream closed EOF for jupyterhub/jupyter-jdomper (notebook)

As you can see, container didn’t find the user… Do I create a new topic?

Can you try simplifying your configuration to the minimal required? Get rid of profileList and kubespawner_override, just have a single image and config. This will help with debugging.

Can you also show us your full Z2JH config? Which version of Z2JH are you using?

1 Like